Tell Midronome to Stop drum machine?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
J. John Mixson

Tell Midronome to Stop drum machine?

Post by J. John Mixson »

Should I be able to send a message to Midronome telling it to Stop?

Midronome is master clock to my "DAW" over USB and my drum machine over DIN.
When I get to three measures prior to the end of this tune, I am sending CC# 103 val. 11 from DAW to Midronome over Channel 12.
This doesn't stop the Midronome or the drum machine.

When the DAW gets to the end of the tune it sends All Notes Off over Channel 12 but that has no effect either.

Is this something I should be able to do somehow?
Thanks very much.
Simon

Re: Tell Midronome to Stop drum machine?

Post by Simon »

Hi John

Yes that should definitely work. Please check that you are sending to the right USB-MIDI (Midronome Commands and not MIDI Out 1 or 2).

It sounds like you are sending the correct MIDI message (see attachment).

What happens when you press the play button on the device, does your drum machine stop? If not try changing the AnL setting.

If it does, then could you try sending other MIDI data, like MIDI Stop or CC 88 (which should change the tempo)? That would be a way to find out if the Midronome is actually receiving the data.
J. John Mixson wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 22:57 When the DAW gets to the end of the tune it sends All Notes Off over Channel 12 but that has no effect either.
All MIDI Notes Off will simply be ignored by the Midronome and have no effect so that's expected.
Attachments
start-stop.png
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

Probably my problem is because I have Midronome plugged into a USB Host port of the iConnectivity mioXM MIDI interface.

Midronome MIDI 1 sends RealTime to mioXM DIN Input 4,
mioXM routes Midronome RealTime to other attached hardware via DIN ports as well as to computer via mioXM USB DAW port. The computer recognizes this as MIDRO/USB.
The mioXM host port is named Midronome
Computer sends data signals out to devices via mioXM USB DAW port known as FIN/USB

Send CC# 103, value 11 from computer over Channel 12 to mioXM via FIN/USB,
Route CC through mioXM out to Midronome host port,
...doesn't work

My Windows 11 Device Manager lists two instances of MIDRO/USB [0] and oddly a MidroUSB [1]. There are also two named simply MIDI, among others.
It doesn't list the two INs and three OUTs that Midronome offers.

This could probably be fixed by plugging Midronome directly into the computer but the better solution would avoid having to spend unknown time with rerouting things.
Thank you
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok I see, yes that might be the issue :D

Let me know how it goes, and just an idea: try deleting the Midronome from the Windows Device Manager then unplug/replug to clean it, it could also be the source of the problem.
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

I really don't know what, or rather which instance, to delete from Device Manager, which I assume means uninstall, unplug, then replug the unit to clean it.
However, I was still on firmware version 1.61 so I updated to 2.0. This likely has the same (or better) effect of cleaning the installation. Would you agree?
So yes, by plugging directly into the computer I found MIDI Out 1 and 2 which I am sure will allow stopping Midronome via a second Out device assigned in my application software.
But I prefer to power Midronome from the mioXM port so that it doesn't stay on at all times just because the computer is on, besides which the feature is not in constant demand.
I'm going to put a 1:2 bidirectional USB switch in to select the power/data connection depending on the situation.
I don't know if you know why CC 103 doesn't transmit through the Midronome host port of mioXM and am not suggesting you should, but that would be a more elegant circumstance.
Thank you, as always, Simon.
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

err:
"why CC 103 doesn't transmit through the Midronome host port of mioXM "
Should have said,
"why CC 103 is not received via the Midronome host port of mioXM"
Simon

Post by Simon »

J. John Mixson wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 22:35 err:
"why CC 103 doesn't transmit through the Midronome host port of mioXM "
Should have said,
"why CC 103 is not received via the Midronome host port of mioXM"
Ha yes that makes more sense. But yea this could be a lot of reasons. My guess is it has something to do with the fact that Midronome uses multiple USB-MIDI interfaces. I found out that MacOS for example gets confused if a USB-MIDI device does not have the same amount of inputs and outputs interfaces (it's a macOS bug). See here - viewtopic.php?t=369 - which is solved in Firmware 3.0 (beta is out already if you want to see if it solves any problem).
I would suggest you ask the mioXL support about it, mentioning the multiple USB-MIDI interfaces ;)

Simon
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

It would be interesting to see if mioXM reacts similarly to the new firmware as does macOS.
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

I haven't tried the beta software, but I added a USB switch to route Midronome through either the mioXM host port or the computer directly.

When connected to the host port, Software devices listed in Windows Device Manager are as I mentioned earlier.
When connected directly to the computer, a MIDI Out 1 and MIDI Out 2 are added to the list. Good! However…

My sequencer software now includes as available devices MIDIOUT2 (Midronome), MIDIOUT3 (Midronome), and Midronome.
There is no MIDI Out 1 or MIDI Out 2 listed.

I tested CC# 103, value 11 with each of these, and the device called Midronome is the one that worked.

This was surprising because the mioXM host port is named Midronome and the input to that port is not routed to anything!

It's all very mysterious to me, but Midronome can now tell the drum machine to stop.
Thanks, Simon.
Simon

Post by Simon »

J. John Mixson wrote: 02 May 2024, 20:23 My sequencer software now includes as available devices MIDIOUT2 (Midronome), MIDIOUT3 (Midronome), and Midronome.
There is no MIDI Out 1 or MIDI Out 2 listed.

I tested CC# 103, value 11 with each of these, and the device called Midronome is the one that worked.
Yes that makes sense, it's like on Windows: the host does not seem to use the USB-MIDI port names, so instead it just assigns a number and takes them in the order they come:
Commands -> Midronome #1
MIDI Out 1 -> Midronome #2
MIDI Out 2 -> MIdronome #3

(in your case it uses MIDIOUTx (Midronome) but the concept is the same)

So then yes it makes sense the first one is the Commands being the one that works. If you need to use the forwarding interfaces, you should be able to use them on MIDIOUT2 and MIDIOUT3 (respectively for the DIN-MIDI ports 1 and 2).