Midrorack - A Eurorack version of Midronome :D

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Simon

Midrorack - A Eurorack version of Midronome :D

Post by Simon »

Hello :)

So after 3 days in SuperBooth being surrounded by modular synths, I can clearly see that making a Eurorack version of the Midronome would be really cool.
This is the very early brainstorming stage, so do not expect this before at least a year. But development should go very fast since it will almost be the same PCB and the same code, just in a Eurorack format.

I will post in this thread my brainstorming, in particular this version will have slightly different connections.
For now I would say:
  • only 1 MIDI clock output
  • at least 4 CV clock out, each of them configurable at different PPQ, and each with a start button
  • all other connections same as currently (USB, input/pedal, metronome)
As always I am trying to involve you guys as early in the process as possible, so feel free to comment/discuss/etc.

Cheers
Simon

PS: Midrorack was the name that came in my mind after a long and complex thinking process of about 2 seconds. :D
n4Sphere

Re: Midrorack - A Eurorack version of Midronome :D

Post by n4Sphere »

i saw videos and thought man i need to buy some modular stuff, but than what a horrible cable mess it will be.

i think this is quite a smart idea. similar to the zoia. they have a normal pedal and a eurorack version. could be really smart
gwpt

Post by gwpt »

Hey Simon,
Eurorack version would be great!

The issues I referred to in this post would be even more relevant if you went euro and would make or break the module: viewtopic.php?t=103

The absolute biggest pain with euro, is getting a whole lots of modules from different manufactures which all deal with resets/syncs different to play nice together.
The key would be having multiple configurable signals for reset, run/stop signals etc. You don't need multiple clock outs, and a simple clock dividers can give you that. You need subtle control of the reset.
If this isn't 100% stable, the module is not reliable enough for use
Simon

Post by Simon »

I see. Well same as what I said on the other topic - we can always add more flexibility later on ;)
I really hope the Midronome will be a "live" project, i.e. a product that constantly evolve. I also intend to make the whole thing open source and open hardware (probably not right at the beginning) so that people with very specific needs can just make their own version of it :D
masi

Post by masi »

gwpt wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 02:05 You don't need multiple clock outs, and a simple clock dividers can give you that.
I disagree. I would need to add 3 clock dividers which take up space and cost extra money while within Midrorack I get them for "free".

With Midrorack I (so my assumption) I can also get offbeat trigger signals for which I would need even more modules.

If the Multiclock is the "reference" for Midronome then perhaps Make Noise TEMPI is it for the Midrorack. Though the main point of TEMPI is IMHO that is has presets. And of cource despite its name it is a gate sequencer.
Last edited by masi on 06 Sep 2022, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
masi

Post by masi »

Simon wrote: 16 May 2022, 09:33 [*] at least 4 CV clock out, each of them configurable at different PPQ, and each with a start button
CV outputs want to be used as LFOs.

And with being digital controlled they can go beyound the classic wave forms (sine, triangle, ramp up/down, square). Eg "pulse width" for all forms. Ramp up goes to triangle and ends as ramps down, the maximum point of the "sine" will move from the center and forward and backword within the cycle. The square could either be rounded off (circular in the extreme form) or turned into a trapezoid.

Oh my, the list is endless :) For "all" forms you need a waveform configurator with points and curves like some VSTs have it.
masi

Post by masi »

Simon wrote: 16 May 2022, 09:33 [*] at least 4 CV clock out, each of them configurable at different PPQ, and each with a start button
Another use case for CV: different accent, ie voltage, patterns for the signals. Some drum modules have inputs that are voltage sensitive (eg accent inputs Tiptop's 808/909 clones).
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the feedback masi! I'll make sure to look into this when I get to it! (feels like it's still far away though - Midronome first, then the new features, then the add-on Module, and then Midrorack ;) ).

Cheers
Simon
masi

Post by masi »

Simon wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 11:01 then the add-on Module
Some Eurorack modules have expander modules. So if it makes sense because of size or production costs extra outputs may be put on another module connected at the back with a cable (a ribbon cable is common for such tasks).

Masi