Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
masi

Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Post by masi »

IMHO it's confusing if you use it as a DIN sync style TRS connector or when using it as a clock signal for Eurorack. A DIN sync is not a "CV". And I have never encountered a module to use "CV" for trigger or gate signals.

Not the biggest issue, but printing "sync/clock" would make things much clearer.

Masi
Simon

Re: Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Post by Simon »

Thanks for raising the question!!

I do not know much about Euroracks & like, and when I asked the Modular community it seems "CV clock" is the common term for a 5V pulse used to sync Modular synths and euroracks.

Second problem is the space, and unless I put the word below (which I have considered actually), I do not have much more space to write more than 3-4 characters.

And "sync" is very general thinking the Midronome is a clock, so basically every single ouput or input could be labelled "clock" or "sync" :D
So the idea is "this is a CV output on a master clock", so it must be a "CV clock".

Thank you again masi it's really great to get people's opinion :)
I'll happily hear what other people would like as well!

Cheers
Simon
masi

Post by masi »

A label on the back on is the least of the troubles you can have with any gear :)

I thought about clock too. Actually sequencer modules use that term for their, well, clock input jack. So "sync/clock" would match for DIN sync synths and Eurorack sequencers.

The term CV is usually used for a signal with a continuous range from -12V to +12V. Depending on the input or output it can be a limited range (eg 0V to 10V, etc). Discreet signals are called triggers when short or gates when long. The length of a trigger does not affect the function, the gate length does (eg it determines how long a note is held)

Masi
cowboy

Post by cowboy »

Maybe call it "Clock" because CV suggests some kind of control voltage.

So how does it work? Is it a stereo jack, capable of outputting either 2 separate clock signals or 1 clock signal + 1 run signal (+5V or 0V depending on whether playing or not like DIN sync)?

Is the clock rate adjustable, eg. 24PPQN, 4PPQN, 1PPQN? And if so, is it adjustable for each clock out (if it's a stereo pair) individually?
Simon

Post by Simon »

You're spot on cowboy, with literally everything you wrote :)

Right now if you want the run signal you can only get 24ppq (DIN mode), but I'll change it so you have 1-24ppq clock or run signal independently on each side of the jack.
DutchSmoke

Post by DutchSmoke »

CV stands voor Control Voltage. Which is a controllable variable voltage to control other elements over time.

That CV port does not deliver CV. As far I can see it gives out SYNC ,which consists out of clock pulse! so again not cv, and start stop pulses, a bit like dinsync but then with only 3 pins.

Pulse, Clock or Sync Out are all descent names for that port but not cv in my opinion. For the other ports just midi in and out. I dont see a problem there.

I hope i don’t sound too picky 😅

different topic, is there a switching pedal input option for controlling start stop?
Simon

Post by Simon »

I know I know :D

But I think CV nowadays means more than just "control voltage", for me it means anything related to modular synths?

In my head, the whole device is a clock, and the outputs are labeled:
* MIDI for "MIDI Clock"
* CV for "CV Clock", i.e. clock for devices that work with CV like modular synths
* Audio for "Audio clock", i.e. metronome

CV is also nice and short (as you can see there is not a lot of space there).

Another reason is I need something I can write on the 3-digit display:
Greenshot 2022-10-18 10.30.58.png
Looking at what other devices call this they often say "sync", which IMO would not work on a clock since everything basically is "sync"?
Another option would be Anlg or Analog, but again I need to be able to write that on the display :/
Simon

Post by Simon »

So, taking into account everything we've discussed, I've decided to go with this.

fmq75

Post by fmq75 »

The arturia sequencer are able to handle start/stop/continue messages when using analog clock and a TRS cable. Is this possible with the Midronome as well (or can it be implemented)?
Simon

Post by Simon »

I would like to know how they handle the "start over" or "continue" message.

But yes basically all it needs is to send the clock on one part of the cable (tip in TRS) and a start/stop 5V gate on the other part (ring in TRS).

The gate can be interpreted as start/stop or continue/stop depending on the receiving device. If Arturia can differentiate between start and continue they must use either different voltages or a more complex signaling (but IMHO: then we might as well use MIDI... :D ).

The Midronome currently only allows this in "din sync" mode, where the speed is fixed to 24ppq. But the possibility of choosing freely any ppq and/or start/stop will be on the list of potential features coming soon :)
masi

Post by masi »

The documentation for the TRS of the Keystep and the Drumbrute Impacts says only "Clock pulse and start/stop". The manuals says nothing about "continue" or "pause".

The documentation for the Keystep Pro OTOH has something to say about "pause":
  • [the Beastep Pro will] play when it receives a high state signal and clock,
  • pause with a high state signal and no clock, and
  • stop on a low state signal, with or without clock.
So actually the master has to stop the clock, but still signal "play" at the same time. I have no clue if this is expected and respectd by other gear.

Sidenote: Looks like "start/stop" is easily misinterpreted on how it works. It is not two signals, but two states. 0V for stop and +5V for play.

Masi
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the info, masi :)

Yes actually my bad this makes perfect sense: leaving the start line at 5V and stopping the clock will have a "pause" effect, since the sequencers are using the clocks pulses to move forward. This is also the behavior on DIN sync devices like the Roland 303, 606, 909, etc.

So @fmq75 you were correct - this is easily implementable (but not currently implemented). Anybody who wants this should make a topic here viewforum.php?f=11 to request for implementing Pause/Continue (probably on both MIDI and on the ANLG plugs, it would not make sense to only do it on one), then it will be considered ;)

Cheers
Simon