Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not

Moderator: MidronomeTeam

masi

Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Post by masi »

IMHO it's confusing if you use it as a DIN sync style TRS connector or when using it as a clock signal for Eurorack. A DIN sync is not a "CV". And I have never encountered a module to use "CV" for trigger or gate signals.

Not the biggest issue, but printing "sync/clock" would make things much clearer.

Masi
Simon

Re: Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Post by Simon »

Thanks for raising the question!!

I do not know much about Euroracks & like, and when I asked the Modular community it seems "CV clock" is the common term for a 5V pulse used to sync Modular synths and euroracks.

Second problem is the space, and unless I put the word below (which I have considered actually), I do not have much more space to write more than 3-4 characters.

And "sync" is very general thinking the Midronome is a clock, so basically every single ouput or input could be labelled "clock" or "sync" :D
So the idea is "this is a CV output on a master clock", so it must be a "CV clock".

Thank you again masi it's really great to get people's opinion :)
I'll happily hear what other people would like as well!

Cheers
Simon
masi

Re: Why is the TRS labelled "CV"?

Post by masi »

A label on the back on is the least of the troubles you can have with any gear :)

I thought about clock too. Actually sequencer modules use that term for their, well, clock input jack. So "sync/clock" would match for DIN sync synths and Eurorack sequencers.

The term CV is usually used for a signal with a continuous range from -12V to +12V. Depending on the input or output it can be a limited range (eg 0V to 10V, etc). Discreet signals are called triggers when short or gates when long. The length of a trigger does not affect the function, the gate length does (eg it determines how long a note is held)

Masi