Independent Stop/Starts on Chained Units

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
supertwang

Independent Stop/Starts on Chained Units

Post by supertwang »

Maybe this is already possible?

If I chain two units, can they both send independent stop/start messages, IN TIME, with the running tempo? This would be akin to the additional stop/start channels on the ERM Multiclock and the ACME sync hardware devices, where if I hit start, the device will wait for the next whole measure (or other subincrement to send the start message, in-time, with the running tempo.

I could imagine putting one of these next to each live hardware device (all chained together) to be the start/stop for just that device, ensuring I can add and drop machines actively playing, while not worrying about them starting out of sync (and requiring manual tempo-matching).

Does this device work that way when chained with other MIDRONOME devices, or could that be added in firmware?

Thanks,
ST
Simon

Re: Independent Stop/Starts on Chained Units

Post by Simon »

Hi ST :)

Yes absolutely - just link 2 Midronomes for example, then you can get 4 play/stop buttons, each sending start or stop on their dedicated MIDI Port.

The "second play/stop button" is the Mute button (which is reconfigured). This is something we are still discussing, how to make it clearer that this button can do either Mute or Play/stop. So far one idea is to put a triangle on top of each button (meaning "play") but leaving the Mute label underneath. If you have ideas on this I am all ears :)

As for the timing, the Midronome has two modes:
* either it sends MIDI Start on the next down beat (first beat of the next bar)
* or it sends MIDI Start right away but reset the metronome (so that they are always in time whatever the mode you choose)

You can also control play/stop with pedals, if you plug 2 pedals and configure them both as play/stop, they will be (like the buttons) associated each with their own MIDI Port.

Cheers
/Simon
supertwang

Post by supertwang »

Thanks for the answer Simon. I was hoping you'd thought of that use case.

In my opinion (I am a UX guy professionally)...

As for the button labeling, if the buttons are assignable to different functions, I'd just label them generically like "A", and "B" to make it clear they're not for specific things, but can be assigned to different functions. Putting the labels MUTE or START/STOP is going to make it more confusing if the buttons are assigned another way.

I don't have the device image in front of me right now... is there (or could there be) a SHIFT button? If so, you could label them MUTE (on top - the unshifted function) and using an inverted label START/STOP on the button, implying a SHIFT function. This is a pretty common music instrument labeling paradigm.

If you don't have a shift button, you could still decode the other button's press state to invoke different functions. Calling the buttons A/B for this example... if I press A and hold it, and while held, then press B, that would trigger B's "Shift / alternate" function. It'd be useful shortcuts, but I'd just leave those for the experts... don't try to label those combos on the device, just describe in the manual.

Hope this helps.

A side question... in the chained mode, the tempo control is NOT bidirectional, correct? Bidirectional, in what I mean, means that either of the units could adjust the tempo and the other will follow. (IE my use case: two band mates who trade off who is in control of the tempo... both of whom want to be able to use their local MIDRONOME to do it). The way you described it makes one device the master, and the other the slave. Could they be chained in a loop, and effect bidirectional control?

Thanks for bringing us electronic musicians some low-cost, performance-friendly hardware MIDI sync!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yay a UX expert! And YES absolutely that helps a lot!

These days I am so focused on reaching 100% on KS, but when (if? :roll: ) we make it, then I would love to discuss this with you and few others UX experts we have in the Midronome Insiders ;)

As for you question - no it is not bidirectional, one controls the other. Interesting thought, though! But that will definitely require some hardware change, having at least 2 wires connecting the two devices.
Dark Waves

Post by Dark Waves »

Simon wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 12:56 Yay a UX expert! And YES absolutely that helps a lot!

These days I am so focused on reaching 100% on KS, but when (if? :roll: ) we make it, then I would love to discuss this with you and few others UX experts we have in the Midronome Insiders ;)

As for you question - no it is not bidirectional, one controls the other. Interesting thought, though! But that will definitely require some hardware change, having at least 2 wires connecting the two devices.
On the bidirectional idea, could you use a single TRS cable with T and S going in opposite directions?