usb c

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
n4Sphere

usb c

Post by n4Sphere »

really i don‘t care if usb would be an overkill, but in 2022 releasing a tech product with usb b is just not future proof. i transfer to usb c only and every new tech must have it.
cheers
Kovmenius

Re: usb c

Post by Kovmenius »

Hahahaha :lol:
I was telling Simon the same, but then it was explained to me that every musician and synth player has dozens of USB Bs :lol: and I'd say it's fair. Also, the USB B adds to durability during the live concerts. But I agree that having a possibility of having Midronome plugged into USB-C, especially when you are a studio user, would be nice.
n4Sphere

Post by n4Sphere »

yeah fair points, but also the cars are moving towards hybrid and away from diesel. so let's start at least with innovative products.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ha ha wait till you hear what Kovmenius thinks about electric cars :D :D

This is an easy one to change - but to be honest I feel strongly against it, the big chunky USB Type B cable fits very well with Live usage because it sits firmly in ths socket. USB C cables are very small and with a tiny connector that is easily pulled out of the socket.

Would love to hear what other people think :)
n4Sphere

Post by n4Sphere »

yeah i am also not a big fan of electric cars but they are coming more and more and are hear to stay.
Kovmenius

Post by Kovmenius »

Yes, electric cars are unfortunately here to stay, which just proves that not every innovation (is it an innovation, really? considering one of the first cars were actually electric, the first commercially produced car was on the market in 1888 with a range of 50 km - it took us only 150 years to realistically quadruple that, lmao) is beneficial for mankind. Don't get me wrong, I truly LOVE USB-C, but I still think that USB-B is more reasonable in this product
timespy

Post by timespy »

I don’t mind USB C. But one potential issue with it is that a usb c socket can be host or device - and that increases risk of misuse. USB B is only a device port so the use case is much clearer. If the Midronome was to behave as a host as well as a device then USB C would make sense. But if it’s going to be only a device then USB B is more rational, and usb c to usb b cables are easy to find. Same if the USB socket is only for power (which I personally hope will not be the case)
n4Sphere

Post by n4Sphere »

yes correct. it matters more or depends on the final feature set. having usb just for power is a waste i agree.
masi

Post by masi »

Just one word: NO. Only USB B is roadworthy. It's fiddly and prone to wear out.

If USB C is used please consider adding a dedicated power connector jack.

Masi
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ha ha ha :lol:

Very nice to hear masi - I agree :D

The other day I was actually testing the robustness of the USB-B port on the prototype I have at home, I really tried butchering it, moving it up/down and on the side very roughly - well nothing moved at all. And even if you try to pull it out you need quite a lot of force.
So yeah on the robustness side it definitely beats the USB-C ;)
pieterv1

Post by pieterv1 »

Thank God it's not micro USB.. :D :D

I'm glad Roland made the move to usb c for their Boutique modules recently. Much better.

The benefit of a (2nd) USB C port might be that the Midronome could act as a host device. For example for connecting a controller/keyboard (like Akai MPK Mini) with only USB and passing the Midi data on to the Midronome's Midi outputs.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well Pieter exactly like the Ethernet on the Module, adding USB host also requires more expensive hardware and a lot of code work :D
I do think it is a nice benefit for devices that have USB device and no DIN-MIDI. But how many devices can receive a MIDI Clock over USB (USB device) without having a DIN-MIDI next to it? There might be a few, I actually do not know any.