Midi and MTC

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
gelbton

Midi and MTC

Post by gelbton »

Hi Simon!
I'm in a midi group on facebook and posted your project. A guy who I consider as an expert on this topic (and sadly doesn't want to register here himself) mentioned, that it would be great to have two separate Outputs for Midi Clock and MTC working in parallel. Especially Ableton users would appreciate that!

And another question: is the USB shielding decoupled from the rest of the electrical ground? He says it's essential for not getting noise problems when using low quality power supplies.

Hope my english is good enough to understand what i mean :-)
Simon

Re: Midi and MTC

Post by Simon »

Hi! Thank you for sharing :)
And your english is perfectly fine!

Regarding your questions:
1) The Midronome does not send MTC. I experimented a bit with MTC and found it very unstable so I did not bother looking further into it.

But why would you need it? In particular with Ableton, as it can sync very well to MIDI Clock. For the other DAWs, the idea is to use the DAW audio sync making your DAW the master via our Midronome VST/AU/AAX plugin :)

2) The USB shield grounding. That's a toughie, and looking at devices, speaking with manufacturers and electronics designers, everybody has a different opinion and ways to do it. I personally decided to connect the metal case to the circuit ground (the "0V") in one single point, and since none of the connectors' shield is attached or touching the case, I also connected them directly to circuit ground.
This should work fine because cables should not connect their shield to anything. But some cables do, and maybe that could cause problems.

So far I have not seen any issues with it, but I'll be happy to discuss it with your friend who seems to know a lot about this! He can send me an email (contact@midronome.com) if he does not want to register here ;)

Thank you!
/Simon
Simon

Post by Simon »

So I'm considering adding MTC as ouput via USB (and only USB), in order to sync DAWs which do not support MIDI Clock (i.e. all except Ableton and Bitwig). I'll experiment with it.
RDB

Post by RDB »

I would be interested to know the outcome of this experiment, I'm on Logic so using Midronome as master wouldn't be an option with midi clock and I've had so many problems trying to sync devices with Logic as the master.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok nice to know - have not had the time to do that so far, and I'm gonna be honest it's not high in the priority list right now :roll:

But if what you want is tight sync between your Logic and the Midronome then I highly suggest you use DAW Sync (which uses an audio signal), because there is no way MTC is tighter than DAW Sync. See how it works here: https://youtu.be/9j5Pqt11Xm8

Cheers
Simon