Gear pics

Please register and tell us about yourself
timespy

Gear pics

Post by timespy »

My electronic music studio for both songwriting and DAWless jamming. Yes, I have a bit of a gear addiction. I promise I'm going to sell something soon to make room for more:
IMG_8559.jpeg
IMG_8561 2.jpeg
IMG_8560.jpeg
Simon

Re: Gear pics

Post by Simon »

Ha ha ha :lol:

That just looks so DOPE!! :D :D
timespy

Post by timespy »

Now you understand why I need a good MIDI clock source :-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Gosh, now I imagine, all of these giant things synced by that teeny little box... :D

You can sync multiple Midronomes together, so in your case maybe you should get like 10 or 20 - make it a GINOURMOUS Midronome!
Vladderman

Post by Vladderman »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What a setup! Holy crap!
timespy

Post by timespy »

At the moment, all MIDI is centralised around a Bome Box (very powerful piece of gear but super steep learning curve). There's a powered USB hub plugged into the Bome Box into which I plug all the controllers with USB MIDI (Novation Sl mk2 and mk3, Arturia Beatstep etc) as well as an iConnectivity mioXL (10 DIN ports plus 10 USB host ports) and an iConnectMIDI4+ (4 DIN ports and 8 USB host ports). These are used to connect the multitimbral machines that require a full MIDI port with all 16 MIDI channels. The monotimbral machines that require only one MIDI channel are plugged into an ancient Opcode Studio 5LX that acts as a 15 outs MIDI patch bay as well as doing some filtering and routing, and is plugged into the DIN port of the Bome Box.

At the moment clock is provided by the Novation SL mk3. The nice thing there is that if the SL gets MIDI clock from the computer it syncs to it and retransmits it (allowing the setup to be synced to the DAW) but when there is no external clock coming in it becomes the clock source. The downside is that the clock it outputs has massive jitter.

I have a MIDIgal running the MIDIclk firmware which allows me to measure clock drift and jitter and the Novation's output is not pretty. The MIDIgal also can act as a much more accurate clock source and if it is fed external clock it "cleans it up" and tightens it considerably which is great when I sync to the DAW. The MIDIgal also has this nice feature that allows sending Start signals "in sync" with an ongoing clock. But the downside is that it is only DIN MIDI and has only one output so I haven't found the right way to integrate it back into the setup yet.

That being said I would recommend having a look at the functionality of the MIDIgal+MIDIclk for features for the MIDronome. The ability to send a delayed start signal in sync with a previously started clock is really handy as is the ability to tighten an external USB clock (and lets face it, the most problematic MIDI clocks usually come out of computers/DAWs as a result of USB protocol limitations).