[DONE] Send MIDI Clock from the USB port

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Simon

[DONE] Send MIDI Clock from the USB port

Post by Simon »

This one is pretty easy: the USB port on the device would also be used to send MIDI Clock to your DAW, or any software that would accept it.

Notice that with the current device, all you need is a simple MIDI to USB cable to be able to do this, for example this one: https://www.thomann.de/intl/miditech_midilink_mini.htm or this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ype-a-6-ft

Would you like to see this implemented? Any thoughts on the matter?

/Simon
unclenige

Re: Send MIDI Clock from the USB port

Post by unclenige »

Screenshot_20220307-103826_Facebook.jpg
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thank you Niall! It would be great to discuss with that guy David directly here :)
Feel free to send him over ;)
timespy

Post by timespy »

I also support MIDI clock over USB. I use a Bome Box as the centre of my MIDI studio and it has only one DIN port which is already in use, but it allows for a large number of USB devices hooked through a powered hub. Ideally I'd like to have the Midronome offer two USB virtual ports over the one USB jack, one which sends Start and one which does not.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Great idea about the two virtual ports! :)
Problem is more the hardware but if that's sorted might as well make two virtual ports instead of one ;)
n4Sphere

Post by n4Sphere »

+1 for midi over usb. one usb cable and having the midi clock without the audio cable would be a great future. but the plugin would als ne working with the usb only connection.
Simon

Post by Simon »

n4Sphere wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 23:25 +1 for midi over usb. one usb cable and having the midi clock without the audio cable would be a great future. but the plugin would als ne working with the usb only connection.
That will not replace the Audio sync with the DAW. This feature is only to send MIDI Clock to DAWs that accept it, i.e. Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio (as far as I know). All other DAWs will still need the audio sync (which is much more precise anyways) to get the Midronome in time with their transport.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ohhhh - look :D
Greenshot 2022-05-03 11.58.35.png
n4Sphere

Re: [ACCEPTED - WIP] Send MIDI Clock from the USB port

Post by n4Sphere »

wow really cool that you are able to implement this feature!
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Should the FAQ on the main website be updated to include this information?

Currently under "Does the USB port also send MIDI" the answer is:

No, the USB is only used for power.
Notice that you can still use a USB port of a computer to deliver power to the Midronome.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

@Simon
For what it's worth, Reason can also be synced via external MIDI Clock but it cannot host VST3 yet so it can't run the audio sync plugin.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thank you @MLaf!

I've updated the FAQ. Awesome about Reason, I did not know!! Can Reason run any plugin format, like AU on mac maybe?
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Negative, it only supports VST2 right now. They're working on VST3 support but no ETA.

But since it can be synced via MIDI Clock I think that would be a good option for the time being.
Dark Waves

Re: [IMPLEMENTED] Send MIDI Clock from the USB port

Post by Dark Waves »

In case anyone is interested, I tried the USB as an output to a MIDI router, and sent it to a synth / sequencer, and it works great, both start / stop and tempo, especially using the Midronome as standalone master. It can pass the sync from DAW with audio sync file, but so far I haven't found an implementation for starting the sequencer in time that way, since the USB is not connected to the PC, where otherwise it could receive the start message as well as audio sync. In any case, it's cool that this means there are essentially 3 MIDI ports if you have other devices with MIDI over USB that can receive that way.