Current features - your thoughts

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Simon

Current features - your thoughts

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Just wondering what you guys think about the current features set (yes sorry the list is long ha ha :D ).
  • CLOCKS
  1. Ultra-low jitter MIDI Clock - 2 ports
  2. Two CV/Analog clock
  3. Possibility to adjust CV clock from 1ppq to 24ppq
  4. Possibility to choose between CV clock sent constantly or only when pressing Play
  5. DIN (sync24) clock

METRONOME
  6. Audio metronome output
  7. Bar signature adjustable from 1/4 to 99/4
  8. Physical switch to select between headphones and Balanced line output
  9. 9 volume levels
  10. 60 different click sounds

TAP TEMPO
  11. Possibility to tap tempo from a button
  12. Possibility to tap tempo from an electronic single drum pad
  13. Possibility to tap time signature from an electronic single drum pad
  14. 3 sensitivity levels for the drum pad

PEDAL/FOOTSWITCH
  15. Possibility to mute/unmute from a pedal/footswitch
  16. Possibility to play/stop from a pedal
  17. Possibility to tap tempo from a pedal
  18. Possibility to connect a second pedal to mute/unmute or play/stop
  19. Auto-detection of pedal polarity for sustain/momentary pedals
  20. Possibility to use latching pedals (used with guitar amps)

SYNC
  21. Possibility to sync to audio sync signal (from a DAW or anything that can play a WAV file)
  22. Possibility to sync two Midronomes together

PLAY/STOP
  23. Sending MIDI Start/stop to sequencers
  24. Possibility to send MIDI Start/stop only on 1 MIDI Port
  25. Possibility to send MIDI Start/stop independently on each MIDI Port (using the mute button as a second play button)
  26. Reset Mode, where MIDI Start is send right away and the audio click is reset (rewound)

MISCELLANEOUS
  27. Possibility to adjust blinking LED brightness or turn it off
  28. Possibility to adjust display brightness
  29. Device is USB powered
  30. Locked Mode 1: all buttons on the device are disabled
  31. Locked Mode 2: only the tempo is locked and tempo changes need to be "approved" by pressing the knob
Which ones are the most important to you? Which ones are completely useless to you?
Any of these which you would like to be implemented differently?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

/Simon
n4Sphere

Re: Current features - your thoughts

Post by n4Sphere »

i know i know i am stepping on many feet now. i don‘t need the metronom at all. but you can program the button so all fine for me. and i rather have many options which i don‘t need now but could be in the future. but i just got a purpose while writing. i could use it for beat matching practice 😁
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ha ha you are - it's ok, please write it's always good to know what people think :D
Notice that none of this will matter if we do not get funded though - so please spread the word if you want to have your extremely-versatile device one day :D
Mindwarp

Post by Mindwarp »

I believe that more Midi (din) goodies would be welcomed 😉
masi

Post by masi »

I like and need the fact the the clock pulses for modular synths.

I'd love to see the tap tempo from pad work out. So the dream of playing live with the tempo set by the drummer gets real. Are there any cheap devices out there? The band has "only" a real kit.

I'm not so keen to add another USB powered device to my setup. They tend to add noise when you connect them and the USB audio interface to a PC.

Masi
Simon

Post by Simon »

masi wrote: 05 May 2022, 21:30 I'd love to see the tap tempo from pad work out. So the dream of playing live with the tempo set by the drummer gets real. Are there any cheap devices out there? The band has "only" a real kit.
Thanks for writing masi :D
You can see the pad in action in a few videos on our facebook, f.x. here: https://www.facebook.com/midronome/vide ... 5284531429

And I guess your question about "cheap devices" is regarding the drum pad? If so, really any drum pad would do, I bought mine for a few bucks second hand. I'm sure there are plenty of drummers who bought a cheap electronic drum set and have tons of these pads which are lying around :D
Otherwise the DIY solution - with a simple piezoelectric sensor - works.
Last solution: a drum trigger on a real drum, but that will make a pretty loud tap tempo ;)

And just so it's clear: the device does not follow the drummer beat, you actually need to tap the tempo like you would on a tap tempo button. If what you want is "tempo following / beat detection", i.e. the device simply following your drummer's speed - that will come with the new bluetooth/WiFi/AbletonLink module that I will start working on as soon as the Midronome is launched (I spoke about this in my last email to the list if you're on it ;) ).

And regarding the USB power, you can simply use a USB phone charger if you do not want to plug it in your computer. The advantage is the possibility is there if you ever need it :)
masi

Post by masi »

Simon wrote: 06 May 2022, 10:23 And just so it's clear: the device does not follow the drummer beat, you actually need to tap the tempo like you would on a tap tempo button.
That was clear, thank you.
Simon wrote: 06 May 2022, 10:23 And regarding the USB power, you can simply use a USB phone charger if you do not want to plug it in your computer. The advantage is the possibility is there if you ever need it :)
I know. And you can use split cables like with the Arturia BeatStep Pro or Dreadbox Nymphes.

The most horrible device with USB noise is a Behringer TD-3. When I it into USB the connected distortion stomp box (Acid!) starts to whine and whistle all of its own. Settled to either program the machine with USB or play it with MIDI.

The MIDI out won't be a problem, but any frequencies on the CV outs may propagate to the audio signals of connected Eurorack modules.

Masi
Hejmathias

Post by Hejmathias »

#21 is important, I don’t think there is an affordable and portable product available that does that.

My own use case: My band plays with a backing track, and we’re not able to sync up. We would like to start every backing track with one bar of a recorded metronome track that tells Midronome the tempo and pulse. After that, we’d route the musical backing track to the PA and use drum machines live perfectly sync’ed to the backing track.

We don’t have an extra track available for a constant metronome, only the stereo track used for actual backing.

Best,
Mathias
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hej Mathias

#21 is not Beat Detection, i.e. you cannot send whatever audio you want (this will be possible in the future, with the module having Beat Detection), you have to send a specific sync signal like the one generated by the VST plugin (which you can put in a simple WAV file).

In your case I'm afraid - until the module comes out at least - you will need either a DAW/software that can sync to MIDI Clock, or an extra audio channel to send to the Midronome so it syncs with your DAW.
gavibee

Post by gavibee »

Hi Simon,

I don't see the Swing/Shuffle functionality anywhere on that list that was requested before the KS even began.
Is it really not even being thought about now?!

Thanks,
Gavin.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Gavin

The list above are the current features.
The swing is on the list of potential new features with all the others - it has been there for a long time. Just to be clear: being on that list means it has not been implemented yet.

I'll send a Kickstarter update (and an email probably) about the new features after the campaign. The idea is there will be a vote which will help me decide which features to implement and which to implement first.
gavibee

Post by gavibee »

Hi Simon - Thanks for the clarification! ;)
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

When using the sync track, I would like for Midronome to send Start over MIDI DIN after the one bar sync is established, at the actual start point of the tune.
One limitation of the software I'm using is that it either sends Start over USB immediately or not at all.
I'm not sure whether there is a current Midronome option for this.
Thanks
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi again John :)
Yes I think that's already the case? The Play button will blink during the sync period (display showing "---"), and the MIDI Start message will only be sent at the beginning of the next bar on the MIDI ports.
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

Excuse my densiosity please. I need to get back to the studio and hands-on. Simply put.
You are too kind.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:D :lol:
No worries John ;)