MIDI in, Tap Tempo out to another device?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
Staffs Lebowski

MIDI in, Tap Tempo out to another device?

Post by Staffs Lebowski »

Hi,

I would like to send a MIDI clock signal from a MorningStar MC3, into the Midronome, then output a Tap Tempo signal via the 1/4 Jack, to another device that accepts a Tap Tempo signal. Can anyone confirm if the Midronome can do this? (ie: similar to a SMARTClock Gen 3)

Thank you!
Simon

Re: MIDI in, Tap Tempo out to another device?

Post by Simon »

Hi! :)

Well that's an interesting setup :D
Right now the Midronome will not sync to incoming MIDI Clock. If you can, I would generally recommend rearranging the setup and making the Midronome is the master, it can only benefit your setup. The Midronome's master clock is very precise, while if it was slaving to something its clocks would only be as good as the master clock (in your case the MorningStar).
Note that this does not mean you have to control the tempo on the Midronome - there are many ways to change the tempo even if the Midronome is the master (for example the knob, the tap tempo button, but also using a footswitch, using a drum pad, or even sending MIDI CC messages to the Midronome to set the tempo - see the Midronome User Guide for more info).

Overall there are many different ways to set up and use the Midronome. Most of the current Midronome owners use it very differently.

But in your case there is a second issue, which might be a blocking one for you: most guitar effect pedals' "Tap" input expects a physical tap tempo switch, and none of the Midronome's output can simulate that at the moment. This could easily be done with an add-on module though, as suggested on this survey - https://survey.midronome.com/

There is no guarantee about those modules, though I'm pretty sure I will release a design (which you will have to build yourself) for this module in the coming months.

I hope you find a solution that works for you :)

Cheers
Simon