Threaded mounting point

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Milosdrummer

Threaded mounting point

Post by Milosdrummer »

It was since I've got my Midronome that I had this thought, but I guess it didn't seem important enough... Anyhow, I think there would be many happy users that would fix their Midronome to a regular stand (boom mic stand, table stand, even those gooseneck thingies might work) and free up space, or have the device more handy, or just avoid putting it on the floor :)

This is a physical feature, so only future byers could benefit, but maybe we could make some DIY hacks to the existing devices? I'm not a stranger to opening and tinkering with stuff, but I thought it's better to ask the maker first, is there a space in the chassis for a threaded insert point?
HappyClocker

Re: Threaded mounting point

Post by HappyClocker »

Good idea!

For existing Midronome owners: There are already a lot of phone mounts with threads and respective adaptors for every thread needed.
Milosdrummer

Post by Milosdrummer »

HappyClocker wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 18:55 Good idea!

For existing Midronome owners: There are already a lot of phone mounts with threads and respective adaptors for every thread needed.
Could you be more specific, which phone mounts are you mentioning?
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

Just google for "phone mount threaded" or search for them at amazon.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the suggestion! :) Actually I've already considered making a special red metal plate (it would basically replace the current plate) with a threaded hole so you could mount it on a microphone stand.
See the original discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=76

The problem is I think the interest for this is very low, and making a small amount of metal units is very pricey, and selling those plates for half the price of the device is not going to work :roll:

Let's see, maybe later if the community grows enough so I can manufacture a substantial amount of these ;)

In the meantime use HappyClocker's solution (thank you for that!).

Simon
Milosdrummer

Post by Milosdrummer »

I totally understand how manufacturing and selling additional metal plates would not be economically sound, and I totally missed the original discussion about the mounting hole :roll:

The phone holder idea is great (I'm in the process of getting one, will post on how it works out), but I was thinking of maybe modifying the existing chassis for a more robust fixing point. If you already had plans for this, maybe you could make some pointers on where the thread would go? My main concern would be to avoid putting the hole in the proximity of device's internals.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Milosdrummer wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 08:41 If you already had plans for this, maybe you could make some pointers on where the thread would go? My main concern would be to avoid putting the hole in the proximity of device's internals.
Yes you're right this was one of my biggest concerns. The best spot is pretty obvious if you open your Midronome, right in the middle slighly at the bottom is the spot on the PCB which is the flattest.
But you still need to make sure that whatever you're screwing does not reach the electronics, therefore I was thinking of using a blind nut (a nut with the end blocked so that you cannot keep screwing forward).

Normally these types of nuts are self-clinching blind nut, which would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to attach it. Problem is the metal plate is too thin for such a big nut, it would not hold. So the manufacturer said the only way would be manual welding - if you have the equipment or know someone who has you could easily try that, it's just the matter of making a hold and then welding a nut (ideally a blind nut) of the right size.

If you ever come to do it let me know how it goes :D