Please Help _total Noob! :( Exploding Brains.

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
dheeraj

Please Help _total Noob! :( Exploding Brains.

Post by dheeraj »

Hello Simon,

Hope all is well,
So I received my Midronome unit a few days ago and am damn excited to connect all my hardware together and sync them flawlessly.
Please excuse me if if I sound like a bit of a noob but I’m having so much trouble and Confusion in getting the unit to sync with Ableton live.
Ive read all the manuals and ive watched the videos and I don’t know where I’m going wrong or am I missing a step.
Or whether the settings in the midronome are right ? : (
Arg! It’s driving me nuts brother.

So as the biggest favour I can ask for is can I please get simple step by step instructions on how to do the following.
1. I want Ableton to be the master clock so that I can send MIDI to Midronome and the midronome can send clock to my synth and drum machine
OR if the NOME sending clock to Ableton (if this method is more precise)
2. Right now the two aren't syncing with bpms are but play /stop are synced : /
3. Ableton settings?
4.Midronome settings ?
5. Ive updated to the new firmware.
6 .Mac specs : MacBook Pro M2 13 inch Mac OS ver 14.1.1 2023 model.
7. Audio interface - RME UCX 1

I do apologise to have asked you for your time and thank you for your patience .
I hope I have explained clearly my issues .

Thank you ,

Regards,

Dheeraj
Simon

Re: Please Help _total Noob! :( Exploding Brains.

Post by Simon »

Hi Dheeraj

Thanks for writing here :)

Let's try this one step at a time: first get the Midronome to follow the tempo from Ableton. For this, you'll to:

1. install the Midronome VST plugin
2. load it on a track in your Ableton session
3. route that track to a dedicated output on your RME (nothing else should be sent there)
4. plug a cable from that output to the plug called "INPUT" on the Midronome
5. set the Midronome setting called "inP" to "2.4.P."

Then press play in Ableton, and the Midronome should sync its tempo to Ableton.

You can see all those steps in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5_ng7kb9U

Let us know when you've got that working, then we can move on the next step :)

Cheers
Simon
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

Hello!

So i did the above mentioned steps.
the NOME follows ableton's start stop commands.
when i compare the video to my present set up..
1. there's no output on the click track when im pressing the 2.4.P .. i can only hear it when 'Inp ' is in OFF mode.
2. the BPM doesnt show on the NOME .. just " --- " , the play blinks when ableton plays and NOME shows " Sto " for a second when stopped .

(also just to try something out i connected my monostation to the NOME and it start stops only on Inp OFF ,Ped , Syn,PAD, or P.a.d mode)

Thank you,

dheeraj
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Dheeraj,

Did you add the Midronome plugin on an empty track, and then route that track to a dedicated output on your RME?
If so, could you please test this works, by plugging a pair a headphones on that output: you should hear a very loud buzz (when Ableton is playing).

If you do not hear the buzz, then something is probably wrong in the routing, either on Ableton or on your RME.

If you do hear the buzz, then connect a cable from that output to the Midronome "INPUT" plug. At this point the sync might work. If it still does not, try the following:
  • Try turning the volume up
  • Make sure the buzz is sent on the left channel of the output (if the output is stereo)
  • If none of the above helps, try adding a plugin after the Midronome VST Plugin on the chain, to flip the polarity/phase of the output
See also the Troubleshooting section of the "How to sync with DAWs" PDF.

If none of this helps, please send a picture of your Ableton and RME setup, as well as pictures of the cable plugged in.

Cheers
Simon

PS: the play/stop on the Midronome is reacting to Ableton because Ableton is sending MIDI Clock to the Midronome. You need to deactivate this as from Firmware 2.0 this is done by the "A.PL" (auto-play) setting in the Midronome - see section 5.3 of the Midronome User Guide.
See the attached screenshot how to prevent Ableton from sending the Clock to the Midronome.
Attachments
ableton-preferences.png
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

Hi Simon,

guess ive not explained more clearly :)

I can hear the click track. all the connections are as mentioned in the video and in the manuals.
now,
i can hear the click track ONLY when 'Inp ' is in OFF mode.. when I change to any other mode for example 2.4.P
I can't hear the click track.
The BPM counter on the NOME doesn't show any BPM just this "---" when I press play on Ableton.
As in the video its not showing me Same bpm as in Ableton .. and the BPM's aren't syncing.
just the start and stop are synced between Ableton and the NOME.

please note that I'm Comparing my set up to from the instructions given in THIS VIDEO : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5_ng7kb9U

regards

dheeraj
Simon

Post by Simon »

I understood, Dheeeraj, but thanks for the extra clarification :)

What I mean with "buzz" is not the metronome click, it's a loud buzz that should be coming out of the plugin (i.e. out of your audio interface).
Something similar to this - https://files.midronome.com/MidroSync-e ... -48kHz.wav

Simon
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

yes Simon.
followed the above steps and im getting a "buzz" sound out of the plugin (i.e the audio interface )

pS: are there any settings in the NOME i have to set up? can u please mention what settings have to be on/off etc in the NOME?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok - well that's progress. Then you just have to keep following my steps ;)
Simon wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 13:49 If you do hear the buzz, then connect a cable from that output to the Midronome "INPUT" plug. At this point the sync might work. If it still does not, try the following:
  • Try turning the volume up
  • Make sure the buzz is sent on the left channel of the output (if the output is stereo)
  • If none of the above helps, try adding a plugin after the Midronome VST Plugin on the chain, to flip the polarity/phase of the output
See also the Troubleshooting section of the "How to sync with DAWs" PDF.

If none of this helps, please send a picture of your Ableton and RME setup, as well as pictures of the cable plugged in.

Simon

PS: there are no settings on the Midronome except setting the "inP" to 24P or 2.4.P. (I'd suggest you start with 24P), which I believe you've already done. Once it is set you can exit the settings by pressing the red setup button.
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

cool!
can you please share me the rest of the steps Simon?
just a tiny reminder that the manual was pretty confusing to me, or maybe I missed some step or something like that.

thank you for understanding ..
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

Hi, just follow the steps in Simon's video CAREFULLY. Pause the video after every step in order to understand every single step he does.
AND set the "volume" / gain on your interface output to VERY "loud".
:mrgreen: If your ears don't explode it is not loud enough :mrgreen: and you only will get a --- on the Midronome but no sync. So I recommend NEVER LISTENING that signal with headphones or monitor loudspeakers! I had to set my output to 12 o'clock.
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

cool!
thank you.
i cant figure where im missing something..
gonna give it a shot again.. :mrgreen:
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

Update:

So i followed all the step in the video and it worked! finally! Phew!
but i might have to say that there was quite a bit of latency , hardware sync issues etc .. and this method (for my workflow)
wasnt ideal :(
im gonna make a new post regarding AT LAST how i managed to get this working according to my set up..
it works flawlessly (For me ) ..
No latency , plus other perks too!

Thank you,
Dheeraj