out of Sync logic pro

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
macdalor

out of Sync logic pro

Post by macdalor »

I have synths and other machines MIDI connected via a MIO XL (Iconnectivity) as well as a Beatstep pro for some vintage stuff and some that need Midiclock run.

All works well except when I want to sync it all to the DAW; so I got the midronome :D

I am running logic pro x on a M2 mbp connected to the midronome via one audio output of an Audient ID44 (All synths & machines audio is coming in thru a MOTU 24 AI to Logic which output to the ID44 in its turn out to monitors)

I got the midronome to start&stop when starting & stopping logic but anything I connect to it via the midi out is slightly out of sync by a few ms even though it picks up the correct BPM.
I tried the plugin, a file generated by the midronome app, an audio track at 24pp, I also tried reducing the buffer size... Same result...

Any ways I can rectify that at all?

I am surely doing some wrong and would appreciate help :)
Simon

Re: out of Sync logic pro

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Thanks for asking here! I do not think you are doing anything wrong if the gear and Logic are in fact in time.
Can you measure the offset? It will usually be 1-2ms, maybe a bit more depending on your gear. What matters is that the offset is constant (it should be - otherwise there is probably something wrong in the setup). Please also try recording the metronome output on the Midronome and check its offset too.

As written in the Troubleshooting of the "How to sync with DAWs" manual, the offset/delay/latency can happen at many different levels:
How to Sync with DAWs - Troubleshooting wrote:
  1. In the DAW internally
  2. When converting audio from digital to analog and vice-versa
  3. In the Midronome, when receiving/sending a sync signal or a clock (but
    we’ve made sure this one is very low, typically way under 1ms)
  4. In the receiving hardware sequencers, between receiving the MIDI Clock
    and generating the audio
#1 should be zero unless you have latency compensation or specific settings in Logic, and #3 is basically inexistent.
So the only problems are #2 which can be reduced with buffer size and sample rate (but never got rid of completely), and #4 which you have no control over. Ableton has this great feature where a track can be delayed negatively, you can do this on the plugin track in order to shift the timing and compensate for #2 and #4. (see here: https://youtu.be/R-tWpy4XJIY?t=365 )

See also the "The DAW’s and Midronome’s clicks are slightly off" in the same Troubleshooting section.

Simon
macdalor

Post by macdalor »

Thank you for your quick feedback Simon!

I will try to measure the offset but as I tried grabbing the midronome's I noticed a very prominent buzzing sound as I connected the audio out from the midronome to my soundcard input. Is taht normal? I haven't noticed it in your videos...
I've disconnected the midronome's audio in and midi bu still the same buzzing sound...

I know about the track delay option in Live but this is unfortunately not available in logic which is my DAW of choice so it would really be helpfull if you could implement one on the plugin itself if possible ;)
Simon

Post by Simon »

macdalor wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 14:22 I know about the track delay option in Live but this is unfortunately not available in logic which is my DAW of choice so it would really be helpfull if you could implement one on the plugin itself if possible ;)
Yes that's the plan - for the next plugin version, but I'm not sure when it will come out :)

So for now the only solution is either to use an extra plugin that would remove/add the delay (using delay compensation for example) or bouncing the plugin and then moving the recorded audio backwards.

And regarding the buzzing sound, it's probably because you are using unbalanced connection - set the switch to "speaker" position and use a stereo cable :)
(See more info about the buzzing here: viewtopic.php?t=199 )
macdalor

Post by macdalor »

ok I got it sorted!

Fo the ones who would find themselves in the same situation, I have created a 24ppqn midi file which I adjusted on a (Hidden) specific track by negativaly delaying it and indefinitely looped it in the session.

The only specificity is that I have to place it 1 bar later in order to be able to have it started beforhand (negative delay) and start to play before the start of the midi region.
Once started it can be looped and tempo changed without any issue.

Perfect sync! Case closed :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the update and great solution! :)