Suggestion For Both USB-MIDI [IN] to Send Start/Stop

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
spacialrob

Suggestion For Both USB-MIDI [IN] to Send Start/Stop

Post by spacialrob »

I think it would be handy to have an option for the second MIDI In interface to also send start/stop commands in addition to clock like the first one. The particular case this is useful is for specific plugins where you can send clock tempo, but that also react to start and stop commands. For example, I am using MIDI In(2) to generate clock tempo in a looping VST called Mobius, and MIDI In(1) is used for everything else that uses transport in the DAW (FL). I can't use MIDI In(1) in Mobius, because it creates a conflict within the DAW, but because MIDI In(2) doesn't use start/stop commands alongside clock, the plugin won't register or display beat counters. I know it's a small thing, but it would be nice if it could be added possibly in the next update as an option!
Simon

Re: Suggestion For Both USB-MIDI [IN] to Send Start/Stop

Post by Simon »

Well that's a funny one :D

Most device only have one interface that would send everything, I only put these two so that you can choose if you want your DAW/software to follow clock only or also start/stop. So you're saying that if there was only one interface, the Mobius VST would not be able to receive anything?
spacialrob

Post by spacialrob »

Yeah, so like I use the first interface as the external master clock in 24PPQ, which sends start/stop + tempo to transport in FL. Then I use the second interface for Mobius, so that it essentially takes the same tempo running from the Midronome as transport. Think of it like two virtual cables, one that goes to the DAW, and one that goes to a plugin and/or secondary program such as another DAW, similar to having the two hardware OUT ports. But since I enabled MIDI IN(1) for host transport in FL, it would not let me use that same virtual port for any other secondary plugin/program/DAW due to internal conflict, so I use the second "cable," aka interface. It's a cool feature to have both, but if the MIDI IN(2) could also send start/stop commands (similar to how the second output port does so), it would help ensure everything, including multiple software and external gear, is running together tightly and directly tied around Midronome's timing if that makes sense.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I understand your situation, I still think it's very weird FL does not let you use the same USB-MIDI interface for both the DAW and the plugin :roll:
I mean it's all software, surely it's not that difficult to send the same data to two different places :D

As for your request let's see what others say - but I can honestly say I think it will be very strange and confusing for everybody to have two times the same interface.
spacialrob

Post by spacialrob »

Yeah, I'm not sure why it creates the conflict. I didn't consider it might only be an exclusive (mis)feature of FL either. Do other DAWs tend to allow sharing the first input with other software without error when using it for master sync?