Smoothing / Averaging Audio Clock Input

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
figgelz

Smoothing / Averaging Audio Clock Input

Post by figgelz »

Hello there,

I have a potential feature request. I'm using the MPC Live together with the Midronome. The Live is connected to the audioinput of the Midronome. Everything is setup with the 24.p.p.q mode, I'm sending 64th triplets of an audio pulse to the Midronome from an audio output of the Live. (I'm not using a full sync audio file, because then I won't be able to make easy tempo changes).

It is essentially working and all connected devices receive the BPM setting from the Live as a "steady" midiclock, so nothing to worry about, everything is in Sync.

But a minor issue still exists: Since the Live has a small midijitter the Midronomes display is constantly jumping +/-1 BPM. It's because the pulses, which are being send to the Midronome from the Lives audio output, are not equally in distance because of the midijitter. The influence of the jitter begins at BPM's at about >100BPM.

So the featurerequest here is an additional mode which allows to engage a smoothing/averaging algorithm on the input or output. This should ensure a steady output clock and a steady display as well. Drawback would be slower tempochanges when the input is changing, because of the averaging, but at least for me this would be no problem, because I don't have any tempochanges in my music.

I hope I was able to describe my problem in a comprehensible way :D
Simon

Re: Smoothing / Averaging Audio Clock Input

Post by Simon »

Actually this might come with Firmware 3.0. Basically the sync to 1ppq to 12ppq will be a rather complex algorithm where the Midronome slowly adjust to the sync signal and the phase of that signal (= start of beat). Once this is implemented, it can easily be adapted for 24ppq, which will work for your case, but also MIDI Clock input, or even USB-MIDI Clock input ;)

Looking forward to try that out! :D

Simon
figgelz

Post by figgelz »

Hey Simon,

this sounds amazing, can't wait for v3.0 :) ! Do you think the synchronized start of all devices when I press play on the Live will still be able then?
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't see why not but since none of this has even been tried or implemented it's hard to say 100% at this point ;)
Simon
figgelz

Post by figgelz »

Hey Simon, I made an interesting observation! In all my previous tests I had Ableton Link enabled as well. I have disabled it today and since then, the jitter is completely vanished, the midronome shows an absolutly stabe clock! Just wanted to let you (and maybe someone else) know.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ohhh interesting!! :D
And that's amazing news, thanks for letting me know!
figgelz

Post by figgelz »

Some extra info just to prevent any confusion or misunderstanding: I had Ableton Link on the MPC activated, but not in Ableton or any other host/client, so the MPC wasn't syncing over Link with any other device. Seems a bit strange from of the MPC Live... but it is what it is. :)