Hi there, top first experience with FW 2.0!

Please register and tell us about yourself
HappyClocker

Hi there, top first experience with FW 2.0!

Post by HappyClocker »

Hi Simon and fellow Midronomists!

Received my Midronome today, updated from FW 0.1 to 2.0 and had a very pleasant first jam synced by Midronome.

My first setup with Midronome: Microfreak, Roland T-8 and S-1:

I've connected a Kenton MIDI Thru 5 to Midronome and routed the MIDI clock and transport messages to Microfreak and S-1.
S-1 sends clock, transport AND S-1's program change to T-8. Everything worked immediately as intended and sync is perfect.

Big THX to Simon and the Midronome Team!

Now I'm looking forward syncing Midronome to Ableton Live with the brand new Midronome 1.0.0 VST3 for Win. Hope I will have time for that test next weekend.
Simon

Re: Hi there, top first experience with FW 2.0!

Post by Simon »

Awesome to hear, and thanks for the nice words!! :)

Just FYI - the plugin is officially released, but I am still working on making a few How-To videos on how to use it.
I've just made a video for Ableton though: https://youtu.be/Kq5_ng7kb9U

More (and better) videos are coming, once the videos are out there will be an official announcement.

The plugin sends both audio (which should be sent to the "INPUT" of the Midronome) but also MIDI Data (which should be sent to "Midronome Commands" over USB - on Windows it's just the first MIDI OUT interface since Windows cannot recognize MIDI names).
The MIDI is not necessary but will sync the time signature as well as setting the tempo when the DAW transport is not running.

On Ableton you can simply create an extra MIDI track which takes the MIDI from the plugin and sends it to the Midronome over USB. Then set the monitoring to "In" and you should see the tempo changing on the Midronome when you change it in Ableton.

Simon
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

Thank you!

I had time to test the sync by using the VST3 (audio track only) for Win and it worked reliabely: I routed its 24 PPQ signal to the second headphone output on my interface and then to Midronome's input via TRS cable. Using mono or stereo tracks/channels on Ableton made no difference.
Worth to mention: I had to set the gain of that headphone output to very loud 12 o'clock to get a sync with Midronome. Below that I've got - - -.

Next test will include MIDI over USB for time signature changes.
Simon

Post by Simon »

HappyClocker wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 19:03 Worth to mention: I had to set the gain of that headphone output to very loud 12 o'clock to get a sync with Midronome. Below that I've got - - -.
This sounds strange, unless your audio interface is not very loud, it should not need that much volume. Is the volume in the DAW and in the audio interface software (if there is one) at 0dB/maximum?

And your "inP" setting was set to "24P" or "2.4.P.", correct?
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

Hi Simon, yes and yes!

My interface is a Focusrite Clarett+ 8pre. Nothing special but not cheap as well. My usual headphone volume on its output one is around 9 o'clock.

Edit: Time signature change via MIDI over USB as shown in your last video works, too.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Nice to know about the MIDI.

Regarding the volume, actually my bad, 12 o'clock is pretty normal (I get about the same on my interface) for a headphones output.
You need to output 0.3V, and that is pretty loud is small impedance headphones. Besides, the dB scale is logarithmic compared to the output voltage, so 12 o'clock is not half the max voltage, it's way lower (max voltage on the clarett seems to be about 4-5V RMS).

Anyways - just make sure you're not right at the limit, but a bit above, otherwise maybe some pulses will end up below the threshold and the sync will be off ;)
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

THX! Good to know. ;)