sync to analog sequencer

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
tyler

sync to analog sequencer

Post by tyler »

Is it possible to sync the midronome tempo to my analog arp sequencer via the tap input ?
The sequencer sends a 5v gate signal.
Simon

Re: sync to analog sequencer

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

How does the arp play, is it a constant rhythm? At what speed (quarter notes, eight notes, etc.)?

The Drum pad input is for tap tempo only. Yes sending audio there will have the same effect as a tap on a drum pad (as long as it's loud enough), but it is will not sync, rather have the same effect as someone constantly tapping the tempo.

Simon
tyler

Post by tyler »

the arp sequencer is like any other analog sequencer sending a steady clock (analog, 5v) or a gate signal (where the 5v stays on for a certain time before going back to 0v).
The speed (of the clock) can be anything between 10 and 1000 bpm.
It is clear, that it will not sync, all I need is the tempo..so I can use the midronome as clock to midi clock (and Metronome).
And be safe, that the 5v will not damage the Tap input.
Simon

Post by Simon »

tyler wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 20:13 the arp sequencer is like any other analog sequencer sending a steady clock (analog, 5v) or a gate signal (where the 5v stays on for a certain time before going back to 0v).
I see. I was not sure if you wanted to use the audio output of the sequencer directly, or a clock output - this is a clock output, then.
tyler wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 20:13 The speed (of the clock) can be anything between 10 and 1000 bpm.
But what is the speed of the clock (in ppq) at a given bpm? For example MIDI clock runs at 24ppq, DIN Sync also runs at 24ppq, Korg clock run at 2ppq, basic modular run at 1ppq. ppq is parts per quarter note.
tyler wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 20:13 And be safe, that the 5v will not damage the Tap input.
Yes that is fine, I confirm that 5V will not damage the Midronome's input.
tyler

Post by tyler »

I guess 1 ppq is the closest, but sorry, I am an oldfashioned analog synthesizer guy, so I dont know how to explain the analog clock in terms of bpm. So I try to be more precise.
If I plug the gate-out (with a steady pulse) of a Behringer182 sequencer (Korg SQ-1, Doepfer A-155 or ARP1601) into the tap input, will the midronome be able to generate a metronome click in the same speed (1ppq). And if I double the speed of the pulse at the input, will the midronome double the speed of the click ?
Simon

Post by Simon »

tyler wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 13:47 If I plug the gate-out (with a steady pulse) of a Behringer182 sequencer (Korg SQ-1, Doepfer A-155 or ARP1601) into the tap input, will the midronome be able to generate a metronome click in the same speed (1ppq).
As I said before, the Drum Pad input is like a tap tempo. The short answer is no. The long answer is you will set the tempo on the Midronome to a rounded BPM corresponding at the speed of that gate-out, and the metronome will have that tempo.

I suggest you wait for Firmware 2.0 where the "sync to any pulse" feature will be implemented. More on that soon :)
tyler wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 13:47 And if I double the speed of the pulse at the input, will the midronome double the speed of the click ?
Yes doubling the speed will double the speed of the detected tempo, definitely.
tyler

Post by tyler »

thanks a lot, I think that will work for me and I am looking forward to the new firmware..