Audio Sync Track Necessary?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
spacialrob

Audio Sync Track Necessary?

Post by spacialrob »

Just wondering if it's necessary to have the audio sync track playing with every new project/tempo, or if it needs to sync only once? USAMO has a plugin which adapts to tempo variations by way of its plugin software, is there a way Midronome could do the same?
Simon

Re: Audio Sync Track Necessary?

Post by Simon »

Hi Rob

Yes the Midronome syncs to the AudioSync track, so it needs to be played constantly. USAMO works the same way afaik.

Depending on your DAW and setup, there are other options, see the new manual for syncing with DAWs on https://midronome.com/support

Simon
spacialrob

Post by spacialrob »

I’m using FL, which doesn’t seem to have ARA support. The only way is to put the sync clip on the mixer track, which is inconvenient when there are tracks of different lengths playing, or tempo adjustments. USAMO’s plugin seems to generate the audio sync track similar to how the ARA plugin does and matches the tempo without need for an additional audio clip. Hopefully IL will add ARA support, but unless there’s any other sync options I will have to stick with USAMO for now.
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

According to Mutable Instuments, the USAMO is a totally different technology, that goes way beyond generating a MIDI clock from a DAW audio engine:

https://pichenettes.github.io/mutable-i ... _projects/
Tight (2012)

Audio plug-in to send 16-QAM encoded MIDI through an audio interface + device demodulating this signal and outputting it on a proper DIN MIDI port. Result: MIDI sent with reliable timing, with a stable and predictable (low) delay compared to the other audio tracks, and none of the jitter associated with USB MIDI.

Proof of concept (Audio Unit + firmware running on a STM32F103 devboard) built, but product concept considered too niche.

A commercial product doing something similar has been launched by Expert Sleepers in December 2014, the USAMO.
It encodes the whole MIDI stream to audio.
amaeland

Post by amaeland »

Now with firmware v2 you can use the E-RM Multiclock plugin, which works great and removes the need for an audio sync track. I think there is a new Midronome plugin as well, but have not tried it yet
Simon

Post by Simon »

There is indeed :) But it's true the E-RM plugin will work as well. In fact anything that sends sharp sounds at 24ppq will work.

Just FYI, the Midronome plugin sends MIDI data as well, and I would say its code is slightly more optimized and cleaned up compared to the E-RM code.
The main idea with making an official Midronome plugin was also to support it, since I doubt the E-RM guys will support or update theirs now that the company has ended.