Syncing Ableton and Midronome

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
barbd

Syncing Ableton and Midronome

Post by barbd »

Hi - look, this could be 'user error' or it could be I have a problematic Midronome but I have no idea why I can't make Ableton > Digitakt > Moog SubH / DFAM all sync together.

I have created a sync file, using the latest firmware and software at 81BPM. I have dropped that into a channel in Ableton and made sure it's outputting to the right channel on my interface OUT. I have made sure Ableton is set to re-pitch and loop. I've set the levels so that Midronome is happy and green.

Midronome is connected via midi out to a Keystep pro, which is sending midi to Digitakt, which is sending midi to the Moogs.

Midi control is sending midi IN via TRACK to Midrinome (Clock & Start) and OUT via Sync (Commands).

Despite Ableton being set to 81BPM, Midronome switches to 78BPM and locks there??

I've watched the videos but I really have no idea how to get this working...?
Simon

Re: Syncing Ableton and Midronome

Post by Simon »

Hi, thanks for asking here :)

I am not sure what "Midi Control" is?

This sounds like an issue with the AudioSync setup, which is probably the hardest part of the setup.
My wild guess: you used a 81bpm sync file from the Sync File Generator and Ableton wrongly detected the tempo (for example 84bpm) on that file so it tries to warp it to 81bpm which make the file actually send a 78bpm signal to the Midronome

Either way, I would suggest for now to:
  1. Remove everything else in the setup except Ableton and Midronome
  2. Follow closely the Ableton setup video (in particular here where I show that I generated a 125bpm file and Ableton detects it as a 125bpm file)
  3. For now use Ableton's metronome and the Midronome's metronome (Audio output) to listen if they are in time - and yes the display should also show 81bpm
  4. Once this is working fine (try changing the tempo as well like I do on the video), start adding other devices
barbd

Post by barbd »

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely try what you've suggested.

By 'midi control' I meant the midi setup preference in ableton. Wasn't sure how to paste an image into this forum, sorry it wasn't very clear...
barbd

Post by barbd »

I've unplugged everything apart from the connection to Ableton, and the Midronome metronome is definitely not in sync.
The locked LED is orange, and I've got a green sync light when I'm in the sync settings.
Warp mode is repitch and the clip BPM is set to the correct tempo.
The tempo on the Midronome is now correct.

But the metronome on Misdronome and Ableton aren't matched 100%. When I record the metronome to audio it's not on the grid.

I've also noticed that Midronome's metronome continues playing even when Ableton has stopped, I've not used the metronome before so not sure if this is typical behaviour. I have to unplug and replug to stop it...
Simon

Post by Simon »

barbd wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 10:12 I've also noticed that Midronome's metronome continues playing even when Ableton has stopped, I've not used the metronome before so not sure if this is typical behaviour. I have to unplug and replug to stop it...
Yes that's normal, when the device stops to receive the AudioSync signal (i.e. Ableton is stopped), it automatically goes in Master mode.
And to mute the Midronome's metronome just press the Mute button ;)

barbd wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 10:12 But the metronome on Misdronome and Ableton aren't matched 100%. When I record the metronome to audio it's not on the grid.
Well there will always be a tiny delay, which you can compensate by using the track delay (see last section of the video). But comparing with the video, do you get the same results (for example the two metronomes should sound in time with each other - i.e. the offset is so small (usually <1ms) that you cannot hear it)?

Apart from these it sounds like you are doing things right - so I would suggest now that you add your hardware devices and see if you can record them on the grid ;)

Simon
MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen »

barbd wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 10:12 I've unplugged everything apart from the connection to Ableton, and the Midronome metronome is definitely not in sync.
The locked LED is orange, and I've got a green sync light when I'm in the sync settings.
Warp mode is repitch and the clip BPM is set to the correct tempo.
The tempo on the Midronome is now correct.

But the metronome on Misdronome and Ableton aren't matched 100%. When I record the metronome to audio it's not on the grid.

I've also noticed that Midronome's metronome continues playing even when Ableton has stopped, I've not used the metronome before so not sure if this is typical behaviour. I have to unplug and replug to stop it...
You should use the External Audio Effect to send the audio to the midronome. Then they are perfectly in sync and the recorded audio will be on the grid.