Midronome keeps defaulting to 3 beats in the bar

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
barbd

Midronome keeps defaulting to 3 beats in the bar

Post by barbd »

Hi - I have no idea why this is happening, and I can't find anything in the manual, but for some reason, when I'm using midronome with Ableton (synced using an audio file) I haven't been getting a four count in, so all my gear comes in on the off beat (on the three count). I looked in the setting and yes, it's switched to 3 beats, so I change it back but it keeps going back to 3.

I wondered if it might be Ableton sending some kind of time signature info but it's currently set to 4/4...?
Simon

Re: Midronome keeps defaulting to 3 beats in the bar

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

The sync with Ableton also syncs the time signature. So if your Audio file was created with a signature of 3/4, then when you sync to the Midronome it will also change it. You can try recreating a new WAV file with a signature of 4/4 and see if it changes something :)

Another, less probable cause, would be that something (Ableton or something else) is sending a MIDI CC message to the Midronome which gets it to change its signature.

And Just FYI, a new version of the Sync File Generator tool is coming this or next week, and a better solution for Audio Sync in Ableton is also coming soon. For other DAWs there is a new Plugin already, see demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGDkhWpzIM (unfortunately this does not work in Ableton).

Simon
barbd

Post by barbd »

Thanks Simon. I remade the sync file, making sure it was 4/4 but this didn't change anything. I'm just using a blank Ableton template with no midi control in it- all the sequencing's being done by outboard gear...maybe a bug? Is there a way to reset midronome?
Simon

Post by Simon »

It must be something with the Audio Sync Signal - notice that you cannot change the time signature in the settings (you can only "view" it) while the Midronome is sync'ed to a DAW using Audio Sync (=Locked LED is constantly on), the time signature is entirely controlled from the audio you are sending from the DAW.

Make sure Ableton is not changing the signal, maybe even have a look at it (there should be a high pulse right before the beginning of each bar), and make sure you are not sending anything else on that output as well (for example a metronome).

If you cannot get it to work, I suggest you wait a couple more weeks as there is both a new version of the Sync File Generator tool coming and a solution for Ableton which will probably solve your issue ;)

Cheers
Simon