[F] Minor feature - extend MIDI-USB CC Commands

Future features that could be implemented on either the Midronome or the Software Tools.
Topics ar marked as: [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Finished
Simon

[F] Minor feature - extend MIDI-USB CC Commands

Post by Simon »

STATUS: All done - available from Firmware v1.1 - download it here: viewtopic.php?t=238

----

Original topic: viewtopic.php?t=167

This is about extending the MIDI CC Commands which can be sent to the "Midronome Commands" device over USB.

Current commands are:
  • Channel 12, MIDI CC x:
    • CC 85 & 86: change tempo to CC85 * 128 + CC86 (for example, CC85=1 and CC86=42 set tempo to 128+42=170)
    • CC 87: change tempo from 60 to 187
    • CC 88: change tempo from 100 to 227
    • CC 89: change tempo from 140 to 267
    • CC 90: change time signature

To these commands will be added the following (the MIDI Start/Continue/Stop commands were there already but have now changed):
  • Channel 12, MIDI CC 102:
    • 0 = mute metronome
    • 1 = unmute metronome
    • 2 = toggle mute (unmute if muted and mute if unmuted)
    • other values are ignored
  • MIDI Continue: (re)start machines on Port X* on the next bar no matter the current Playing state
  • MIDI Start: reset/rewind the clocks and start machines on Port X* right away no matter the current Playing state
    (note: resets are not possible when Audio Sync is activated - inP=Syn - so in this case MIDI Start will have the same effect as MIDI Continue)
  • MIDI Stop: send MIDI Stop on Port X* no matter the current Playing state
  • Channel 12, MIDI CC 103:
    • 1 = same as sending MIDI Continue but on Port 1 only
    • 2 = same as sending MIDI Continue but on Port 2 only
    • 11 = same as sending MIDI Stop but on Port 1 only
    • 12 = same as sending MIDI Stop but on Port 2 only
    • other values are ignored
Port X* = Port 1 and 2 if the setting PLA=bot, otherwise Port 1 only

The new MIDI Start/Cont/Stop commands are basically a way to get the Midronome to start, stop, or reset/rewind your devices no matter the configuration of the device, and no matter the current playing status. MIDI Start will reset/rewind even if Reset Mode is not enabled.

This way if you have started your machine without the Midronome you can still stop it by sending MIDI Stop. Or if you want to send a resync message (= long press on the Play button), you can do that by sending MIDI Start.

The new CC 103 messages let you act independently on Port 1 & 2, so you are not dependent on the PLA setting.

I hope that makes sense! :)

Feel free to comment here regarding:
  • If you think some information is missing or unclear
  • How you would like this feature to be implemented (choice of CC number, etc.)
Simon

Re: [WIP] Minor feature - extend MIDI-USB CC Commands

Post by Simon »

All done - Firmware v1.1 available - download it here: viewtopic.php?t=238
MPrinsen

Re: [F] Minor feature - extend MIDI-USB CC Commands

Post by MPrinsen »

I'd love a way to Start / Resync the outputs using a midi CC, like you did with the separate Stop messages as well.

This would allow to start/resync from a running sequencer (like the DAW or Hapax) without having to actually send a Start message.

Also, it would be great if the midi control channel (default = 12) could be changed, since I already have another device set on 12 and changing that would be very complicated in my setup.
Simon

Post by Simon »

MPrinsen wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 15:43 I'd love a way to Start / Resync the outputs using a midi CC, like you did with the separate Stop messages as well.
I think the MIDI CC 103 messages are just that? Or maybe I have misunderstood :)
MPrinsen

Post by MPrinsen »

Simon wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 07:01
MPrinsen wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 15:43 I'd love a way to Start / Resync the outputs using a midi CC, like you did with the separate Stop messages as well.
I think the MIDI CC 103 messages are just that? Or maybe I have misunderstood :)
Oh yes you’re right, I didn’t read that correctly!

Awesome!