[DONE] Separate and Reset mode both enabled does not reset Port 2

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Simon

[DONE] Separate and Reset mode both enabled does not reset Port 2

Post by Simon »

EDIT: Original topic was viewtopic.php?t=224, some posts have been moved here as it was a double-suggestion.

Oh ok I get it, you have PLA set to Sep (separate) and Reset mode activated (Res set to ON), right?

That's actually a good point, I never thought about this - I can see how when you press Reset (play button), it will:
* resets the clock
* send a MIDI Start message on port 1
* send nothing on port 2 (since the ports are configured as separate)

So if you had something running on Port 2 it would now be out of sync with what's running on port 1.

Notice that the 2 clocks are *always* in sync, the only reason why one machine would be out of sync is because it needs a new MIDI Start message.

This is very easy to change but I'm wondering if this is the right choice - I mean when you configure ports as separate and press one button you would not expect the other port to be affected?

Simon

EDIT: ok I did some digging and had a look at the code, but I'm still unsure about your usage.
Are you saying that you have Port 2 "playing" (button LED on) and Port 1 "stopped" (button LED off)? Then press the Play button and it does not resync Port 2, correct? This you can easily do by first holding the Mute button down (=send resync on the next bar), then press the Play button (reset and make the next bar "now") -> that both MIDI Start is sent on both ports.

If you mean you have both Ports "stopped" (both button LEDs off), then yes I can see that if you press both buttons at the same time the right port sends MIDI Start one bar later. it works if you press the Mute button just a tad (about half a second) earlier.

I think that:
1. it would really help if could show me on a video what you precisely are doing and what you want the Midronome to do
2. I suggest we rename this topic "Separate and Reset mode both enabled sends wrong Start", and then regarding the program change you can either create a separate topic or add a comment in this one: viewtopic.php?t=37

Cheers
SImon
stefan drums

Re: Programchange function

Post by stefan drums »

Hi Simon

What you set up you mentioned is right it B goes out of sync till you start it again.
The thing is when you are doing a big show you don't want to make stops or movements with your hand or even think about it.
That's why I use a pedal for it. So I can stop and start the running samples or backing track.
I will send you a small movie later this week how I have my set up.

Cheerios
Stefan Kruger
stefan drums

Re: Programchange function

Post by stefan drums »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o57g4fimtbcyy ... 2.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6itqzacnndv3l ... 3.MOV?dl=0
Hi Simon
Two little movies about the issue.
Hope its clear what the little problem is.
Btw, your machine is awesome!

Greetz
Stefan
Simon

Re: Separate and Reset mode both enabled does not reset Port 2

Post by Simon »

Thank you very much Stefan for making the videos :)

I moved the posts to a new topic for clarity - separating the preset/program change thing from this issue.

If I understood well:
  • On Video 1, the problem is that the pedal is acting only one MIDI Port 1 while the button is acting on both?
    That's because you have set your Pedal 2 (PE.2) setting to Play as well, and if you configure two pedals as Play pedals, they each act on their own MIDI Port. So if you change the PE.2 to anything else, then your pedal will act on both ports, just like the button.
  • On Video 2, this is exactly what I mentioned earlier:
    Simon wrote: 31 May 2023, 12:31 when you press Reset (play button), it will:
    * resets the clock
    * send a MIDI Start message on port 1
    * send nothing on port 2 (since the ports are configured as separate)

So if you had something running on Port 2 it would now be out of sync with what's running on port 1.
    And for now the solution is holding the Mute button down (=send resync on the next bar), then press the Play button (reset and make the next bar "now") -> that way MIDI Start is sent on both ports.
But the point showed by video 2 is actually a very valid point, I think we can even consider it as a design bug. So unless someone has something against it, it will be corrected this way:
  • If both Reset mode and Separate mode are enabled
  • Port 2 is playing (=Mute button LED is lit) but Port 1 is not (Play button LED is not lit)
  • Then pressing the Play button resets and starts Port 1 but also sends a resync to Port 2 so they are in time
Would that work for you?

Cheers
Simon
stefan drums

Post by stefan drums »

Hi Simon

That would be great!
It s give's more choice to different situations.
As a drummer you want to minimalize button handling during show.

Greetz
Stefan
Simon

Post by Simon »

See the official bug report here: viewtopic.php?t=231
Simon

Post by Simon »

Fixed in Firmware v1.1 - download it here: viewtopic.php?t=238