[F] Sync to 24ppq signal - improved sync to DAWs

Future features that could be implemented on either the Midronome or the Software Tools.
Topics ar marked as: [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Finished
Simon

[F] Sync to 24ppq signal - improved sync to DAWs

Post by Simon »

Important: this feature was previously sync to any pulse from 1 to 24ppq, this has been splitted in two features, this one and viewtopic.php?t=268
------

Original topic: viewtopic.php?t=113

This is about implementing syncing to regular audio pulses running at 24 ppqn. This is designed to be used with DAWs, as it means the device will be able to sync with other products or software, in particular with the E-RM DAW plugin.

This will have 2 modes:
  • 24PPQ: One mode where the sync works exactly like AudioSync (but with fixed time signature), starting one bar after receiving the 24ppq signal
  • 24PPQ Plus: Another mode where, if no 24ppq signal is received, the Midronome will not run as a master. In this mode the sync will start right away (no one bar delay)
This will be implemented in the "inP" setting, adding two options, one called "24p" (24PPQ) and one called "2.4.p." (24PPQ Plus).

Feel free to comment here regarding:
  • If you think some information is missing or unclear
  • How you would like this feature to be implemented (buttons, settings, how to activate, how it is done, etc.)
  • Why you think this feature is a good addition to the Midronome
Dark Waves

Re: Sync to any regular signal from 1 to 24ppq

Post by Dark Waves »

This sounds like a great idea. In fact, there's a Kenton device dedicated to this function, albeit with quite a few features. Still, even a simple CV clock to MIDI clock conversion would add a lot of flexibility to setups with blended gear.
MLaf

Re: Sync to any regular signal from 1 to 24ppq

Post by MLaf »

This sounds like it would make the device work more akin to the ER-M Multiclock like I feel so many of us were hoping for (a more affordable version).
Simon

Re: [F] Sync to 24ppq signal - improved sync to DAWs

Post by Simon »

FYI - this is now implemented and released as part of FW 2.0.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Love the updates that keep coming - Midronome is a great product and only getting better!

A feature request: the ability to enable "steady clock" when using the new plugin to smooth out multiple rapid clock changes. I had my CPU unexpectedly max out doing something in the background and it of course caused a lot of popping and clicking in my DAW - and it freaked the F out of the Midronome clock at the same time. I never change clock dozens of times per second in my music - maybe there's even an adjustable setting from 01 (tenths) to 10 (s) or something that locks out more than one clock change.

Not quite sure how it'd work off the top of my head, but this was a real issue using the plugin.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Dave wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 18:11 A feature request: the ability to enable "steady clock" when using the new plugin to smooth out multiple rapid clock changes. I had my CPU unexpectedly max out doing something in the background and it of course caused a lot of popping and clicking in my DAW - and it freaked the F out of the Midronome clock at the same time. I never change clock dozens of times per second in my music - maybe there's even an adjustable setting from 01 (tenths) to 10 (s) or something that locks out more than one clock change.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure I fully understand, your CPU got busy (doing something else), so you had a lot of pop/clicks in your DAW, and obviously the plugin could not send the signal properly so the sync was also off.
But I'm thinking if you had clicks and pops then you woudl re-record/redo it anyways? Or you would prefer in this case that the sync is maintained, using a mechanism as you said to prevent quick changes over a short amount of time?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Simon wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 20:17
Dave wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 18:11 A feature request: the ability to enable "steady clock" when using the new plugin to smooth out multiple rapid clock changes. I had my CPU unexpectedly max out doing something in the background and it of course caused a lot of popping and clicking in my DAW - and it freaked the F out of the Midronome clock at the same time. I never change clock dozens of times per second in my music - maybe there's even an adjustable setting from 01 (tenths) to 10 (s) or something that locks out more than one clock change.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure I fully understand, your CPU got busy (doing something else), so you had a lot of pop/clicks in your DAW, and obviously the plugin could not send the signal properly so the sync was also off.
But I'm thinking if you had clicks and pops then you woudl re-record/redo it anyways? Or you would prefer in this case that the sync is maintained, using a mechanism as you said to prevent quick changes over a short amount of time?
Maybe there's no actual consequence or "cost" of having the Midronome and all connected devices attempting to change tempo dozens of times in a second for a few seconds because, as you say, I'd have to re-do that thing anyway. Hmm. Good point :D

Perhaps it's just a warning that gets added to the sync manual about how if there are latency issues (e.g., unexpected CPU load), then the Midronome plugin may temporarily lose sync, rapidly changing tempo for all connected devices for a short time.

I suppose if I had vintage gear (which I don't, personally), it might be a bit more concerning? But, then, those devices probably cannot react as quickly anyway.

At any rate, thanks for listening, and I do suggest you test out what happens so you can experience it for yourself and determine what, if any, action is needed.

-Dave
Simon

Post by Simon »

I see - will do, and thanks for the feedback in any case :)