Clock Swing

Future features that could be implemented on either the Midronome or the Software Tools.
Topics ar marked as: [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Finished
Simon

Clock Swing

Post by Simon »

Original topic: viewtopic.php?t=109

This is about implementing a swing, or "shuffle feel" on the two MIDI-DIN ports and the two ANLG ports (left and right clocks).

Adjusting the swing will be done with one setting only, a percentage from 0 to 100.

Feel free to comment here regarding:
  • If you think some information is missing or unclear
  • How you would like this feature to be implemented (buttons, settings, how to activate, how it is done, etc.)
  • Why you think this feature is a good addition to the Midronome
gavibee

Re: Clock Swing

Post by gavibee »

Hi Simon,

As I was involved in the original thread (link posted above), I think I've said all I wish to on this important potential additional feature.
One thing I'd like to reiterate though is that you'll probably need 2 settings, one for the percentage and the other to switch between 16th-note and 8th-note swing/shuffle.

As for implementation, pressing and holding one or two buttons whilst using the main knob to dial in the percentage seems most logical to my mind.
gavibee

Post by gavibee »

Hi Simon,

So, given your most recent communication regarding new features, can I assume that swing/shuffle functionality isn't going to happen anytime soon?
If so, I need to find an alternative solution and ditch my Midronome... which would be a huge shame :(

Thanks,
Gavin.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Gavin,

You're correct, I do not think Swing will make it to the device. Nothing is written in stone yet (except Firmware 2.0), but my idea for the future features from https://survey.midronome.com/ is:
  • Firmware 2.0 - implement Sync to Any Pulse and MIDI Data Forwarding
  • Firmware 3.0 - implement Tempo presets and Analog Start Signal
  • For the negative offset and swing, create add-on modules
    (I imagine for swing a simple module with f.x. 2 MIDI outputs and 2 knobs to control the swing - same idea for the negative offset)
  • Make a general Arduino add-on module with a simple Midronome library so that people can easily implement whatever else they need
(not necessarily in that order)

You sound particularly invested in the swing so if you want I'll make sure to send you a swing module as soon as there is a beta version :)

Simon
gavibee

Post by gavibee »

I appreciate all your efforts Simon and would be interested in beta testing the Swing module if/when you manage to develop it.
However, in the meantime, I'm going to have to find an alternative solution (MidiGal perhaps? Nowhere near as accurate a clock but has the functionality I need).
Simon

Post by Simon »

Perfectly understandable - maybe give that new CLOCKStep Multi a go? or get one of the last Multiclocks ;)