Suggestion: DAW sync experience

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
mineral

Suggestion: DAW sync experience

Post by mineral »

Hello

I've been having trouble to get it working properly without much hustle. Audio sync isn't even my main application.
After reading many topics of users having a difficult time to make use of it I've been thinking and I wish to make a suggestion for a future function.

The sync file is not handy to use and has it's limitations for one static tempo. On top of that I noticed also that it needs a bar of impulses before it even starts.

How it could work:
- it should take clock and transport information from the DAW MIDI over USB. (might be someone is interested only in that for whatever reason)
- if it receives audio sync as well than it could ignore the clock signal partially or in total (going to explain) and use the audio as main sync source, but the transport from the DAW's MIDI clock.

The MIDI Clock contains bar information, which the high pulse provides in the audio sync. You could make life more easy not having a high pulse, but getting the bar information from the MIDI clock. The clock would still be straight from the low pulses in the sync signal only the bar signal would have a jitter, but this could be estimated and confirmed with tolerance. You further could get MIDI signals (like CCs, NRPNs or just a code of notes) which configure the midronome's clock to have the tempo and signature set. If the DAW tempo changes, this information could be sent to the midronome again that it knows what is about to come.

This all would enable a much better user experience, you could use it with only one USB cable without audio sync, or optionally with a simplified audio sync pulse structure, instant start from the correct transport position.

This would be like magic! And I think the hardware itself would be capable to do this. Maybe firmware v2.0
AlainTH

Re: Suggestion: DAW sync experience

Post by AlainTH »

i agree that this would be more pratical... i just tried tio use ableton/push and midronome but it is too much tricky for me. i use ableton live/push as principal 'remote' of the system and i think that 'as it is' the midronome is not the good tool. it is i think at his good place with hardware-sequencers.
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

I think Simon is working on a VST plug-in to automate the sync to a DAW audio pulse functionality, which is the method used by Innerclock or ERM before. The audio file clip is a temporary universal workaround.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hey mineral

I like that idea a lot actually - well thought!

There are quite a few things at play though, so I will have to keep AudioSync the way it is and create a new type of sync, because:
* Some people are using AudioSync the way it is and have no issues with it
* AudioSync is also used to sync 2 Midronomes together (which by the way prooves there is nothing wrong with the hardware - the hard part is and always has been the fact that DAWs are terrible at outputting the correct AudioSync signal!)

Moreover, that would be yet another option, and people are already confused with all the different options (USB sync, ARA plugin, Sync File Gen, etc.)

But there is potential there, so I'll keep it in mind! Thank you for the suggestion in any case ;)
mineral wrote: 07 May 2023, 11:47 you could use it with only one USB cable without audio sync, or optionally with a simplified audio sync pulse structure,
What dod you mean with just one USB cable? Using the MIDI Clock from the DAW?

PS: moving this topic to Discussions & Debates where it belongs ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

AlainTH wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 20:29 i agree that this would be more pratical... i just tried tio use ableton/push and midronome but it is too much tricky for me. i use ableton live/push as principal 'remote' of the system and i think that 'as it is' the midronome is not the good tool. it is i think at his good place with hardware-sequencers.
I use the Midronome to sync hardware synths to the DAW, not to sync the DAW to hardware synths. Works well, though the sync files aren’t easy to use if you want to change tempo during a track. But it’s easy to generate a bunch of them, one file per bpm, and just drag the one you want into a project.

I merge the MIDI out from my interface with the clock out of the Midronome and then split it to my hardware via a Midi thru.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Dave wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 22:47 I merge the MIDI out from my interface with the clock out of the Midronome and then split it to my hardware via a Midi thru.
And soon you won't need that as the Midronome will do the merging for you he he :D