software won't open

Any questions about the Software Tools (FirmwareUpdater, SyncFileGenerator, ErrorLogExtractor)
dcj

software won't open

Post by dcj »

Software Tool (Sync File Generator, Firmware Updater, or Error Log Extractor) and version: Latest version of sync file generator and firmware updater 0.1

Operating System and version: Monterey 12.6.1

Short description of the issue: I'm not able to open the file. The option to allow it to be opened does not show up in the security section of system preferences. The error message is:
"“Firmware Updater” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."
Simon

Re: software won't open

Post by Simon »

Thank you for reporting :)
See the note marked "Important" on https://midronome.com/support

Simon
northerntao

Post by northerntao »

Followed the instructions at https://www.midronome.com/support-tool-launch-issue, for older Macs (Intel). Still get the damaged software message on Ventura 13.3.1 on a 2019 MacBook Pro.

UPDATE - After running the command twice in Terminal with sudo, I got a message saying it was blocked in Privacy and Security. I was able to use the usual process to open the blocked app in System Settings after that.
Schultzy

Post by Schultzy »

I had the same issue.

This is how I made it work - hopefully it saves someone the confusion.

1.Download the Mac (intel) file (.dmg) and the midronome firmware v1.0 (.midr) from the support page.

Pull down the  Apple menu and choose ‘System Preferences’
Choose “Security & Privacy” control panel
Now select the “Privacy” tab, then from the left-side menu select “Full Disk Access”
Click the lock icon in the lower left corner of the preference panel and authenticate with an admin level login
Now click the [+] plus button to add an application with full disk access
Navigate to the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and choose “Terminal” to grant Terminal with Full Disk Access privileges
Relaunch Terminal, the “Operation not permitted” error messages will be gone

In terminal, copy and paste each of the following lines, from the support page: (hit enter after each!)
xattr -cr /Applications/Sync\ File\ Generator.app
xattr -cr /Applications/Firmware\ Updater.app
xattr -cr /Applications/Error\ Log\ Extractor.app

Open the .dmg and drag the folder into "Applications"

RIGHT CLICK the app and select open, then open again.

6. Follow instructions. When the updater opens a finder window, select that .midr file

Hope this helps. I'm super excited to be working with this sexy little box! I've been waiting for this for 20 years.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thank you so much, and really sorry about this. We've ordered the certificates to sign the software but it's a slow process (they need to check we are legit etc.). I hope we can release a new version solving this issue within a week.
theonlyion

Post by theonlyion »

Unfortunately, I'm still having an issues getting the firmware updater to open, both the other programs won't work either.