Syncing midronome with iPad´s stage traxx 3 (backing track app)

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
gbadvancero

Syncing midronome with iPad´s stage traxx 3 (backing track app)

Post by gbadvancero »

Hello. I use Stage Traxx 3 to throw backing tracks with my iPad. There I can define midi sends and receives depending on the song. I want to start easy now with Midronome. Basically, what I´d like is that when I start the song from Stage Traxx 3, the app sends the tempo to midronome via USB. Then Midronome will start pushing all the midi sync data to the rest of devices. Is there any way to do this with the midronome? Thanks!

https://stagetraxx.com/user-guide/midi/ ... di-devices
Simon

Re: Syncing midronome with iPad´s stage traxx 3 (backing track app)

Post by Simon »

Yes - you might need a few things in between as it needs to be sent from your iPad to the Midronome on the USB port.

Once that is set up, just send MIDI CC messages to "Midronome Commands" - see the manual section "USB commands" :)
gbadvancero

Post by gbadvancero »

It does work marvelously! Thanks!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Amazing to hear! How did you manage to send the MIDI messages from the iPad to the Midronome's USB port?
gbadvancero

Post by gbadvancero »

pretty easy! I simply connected the ipad usb-c port to the midronome usb and it worked. Simply and easy. I can even send midi signals from the midronome to the ipad application, as the app has a midi learning functionality. For example, I press play on the midronome and the app can start the app as I have configured it earlier.

My current setup is with the following adapter, since this way I can keep the iPad charged with the usb-c port, send music out with the jack port, and connect to other devices with the usb-a port.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0BCXHTCD1?psc ... ct_details

Sadly, the only thing I cannot make it work is the tempo sync. The ipad app does not have a way to receive the clock input so it is a bit cumbersome.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

Regarding syncing the app, if it does not follow MIDI Clock this is not really possible? How else would you sync the app?

Simon
gbadvancero

Post by gbadvancero »

Well, it does not sync in that sense. For now, Midronome receives the tempo from the application and allows me to forward the tempo to my pedals. This is a limitation since the app cannot really read the data. I will open a post on an idea on this regard
Milosdrummer

Post by Milosdrummer »

If I can just add a question about this... I'm using a different app (android based) and would like to send tempo changes to the Midronome. Which MIDI channel is used to do this? There are only cc commands stated in the manual, but no specific channel.
Dark Waves

Post by Dark Waves »

Channel 12. Check under "usb commands" section (page 15) of the current - v1.1 - manual: https://files.midronome.com/docs/midron ... -guide.pdf
Milosdrummer

Post by Milosdrummer »

Thanx for the reply, it was there all along, but my brain decided to ignore the obvious. :lol:
Dark Waves

Post by Dark Waves »

No sweat. Brains are funny things!