sync file in Studio One looped out of sync

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
eevolute

sync file in Studio One looped out of sync

Post by eevolute »

I'm using Studio One V6 with Midronome. Situation:

- A 200-bar sync file was generated and runs on an audio track in S1 from position 1. The Midronome is set to input sync, and level was adjusted until green, and sync is picked up after 1 bar and sync led is lit. BPM is shown.

- Midi clock from the Midronome is fed to various hardware devices: Elektron AR, Roland TR-909, Avalon bassline, Roland System-8. start/stop/clock info from S1 is sent only to the midi input of Midronome.

Symptoms: when set to an 8-bar loop, all devices experience a delay in the midi clock at every time the loop begins again. So the delay increases over time. the clock does not stop, just seems to be delayed by some ms on each loop. tested against an internal instrument playing a kick and internal metronome of S1.

Tried:
- I did not loop the whole file, but choose a 8-bar section starting at bar 17 to 25 to loop. The sync file track starts at postion 1 of the song. Every time the loop goes back to 17, the midi clock gets delayed and goes further out of sync. it does not matter if I start the song from 1, any other position before or at the loop point.
- Then I decided to try this: cut the sync audio file at bar 9 till 17, and repeat this 8-bar audio event every 8 bars and try the same loop. And to my surprise, this works, the looped section stays in sync. I know it is not the advise to cut the sync file, but it is currently the only way I can get S1 to loop properly.
Simon

Re: sync file in Studio One looped out of sync

Post by Simon »

Hi eevolute

I looked more into this, but I could not reproduce it (everything was perfectly on time). Could you tell me:
* what sample rate you are using
* what was the BPM of that generated file
* did you use any negative delay on the Sync File Generator?

And just to be sure: you did loop the bars with the snap on, right? (as in you looped exactly bar to bar and did not miss half a beat or smth like that)

When you say you experience a delay, do you know how much? Could you maybe record it and have a look?

Thank you
Simon
eevolute

Post by eevolute »

Hi Simon,

I have reproduced the problem with a fresh empty S1 song, and a newly generated 64 bar sync file. To answer your questions:

Sample rate 44.1, 125BPM, delay 0

Snap is on, bar to bar. Also, if this would be wrong, the trick with the chopped sync file would not have worked..

The delay measures is about 17ms every time the loop repeats. I have made a screenshot of how it,looks.
s1 screenshot
s1 screenshot
The screen shows a kick from the Analog Rytm, 1 recording, the takes are from the loop (2x before stopped).But I also measured the delays on the other instruments recorded, they are the same but starting point differs (due to different hardware delays I presume)

If I cut the sync file, the loop works flawless. Funny is that I did not even have to copy an 8 bar event, just cutting it at 17 and 24 does the trick. see screenshot 2.
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 18.03.24.png
So it makes me wonder if this is a Studio One issue, I hope someone could check it in another daw?
eevolute

Post by eevolute »

OK, I also had Logic Pro installed, so i tried the same setup there. And it works fine with the sync file intact and just looped. So it is a Studio One issue, apparently?
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 18.21.50.png
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok interesting, thanks for the screenshots!

One more way to see if the device is receiving the correct signal: the Click LED will blink green on the downbeat and red on the other beats. But if it receives a different amount of pulses than expected (it expects 24ppq), it will consider it a "resync" and the Click LED will blink yellow.
You can make the Click LED brighter (so it's easier to see) in the advanced settings (see manual).

So one more question: when looping in Studio One, look carefully at the Click LED just as it loops, if it blinks yellow instead of green then it's definitely missing a pulse from the DAW which will explain the delay.

Another idea to solve it: try to change your audio buffer settings?
tobbiew

Post by tobbiew »

I have tested with both Studio One and Bitwig and looping works fine for me without having to cut the sync file. I am at work now but I can check how my setup is when I get back home. If you like.