[DONE] Sync File Generator - auto file names suggestion

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
MLaf

[DONE] Sync File Generator - auto file names suggestion

Post by MLaf »

By default the Sync Generator will create a file called sync.wav.

If you rename this and forget to append .wav, the file is created without an extension (this might cause some users confusion).
First suggestion is to omit the extension in the save as file name and just automatically append .wav regardless after the file is created.

Second suggestion, when creating the file, the names are all sync.wav. Can you auto generate file names that include the BPM, Signature, amount of bars, sample rate, and negative offset?

Eg
sync-92bpm-44sig-2bars-48Khz-offset27.wav

Or something like that.
Simon

Re: Sync File Generator - auto file names suggestion

Post by Simon »

A very good point indeed. The missing wav is clearly a bug. Renaming the file is a suggestion.

How would you handle the name if you have a complex tempo map with 10 different tempos?
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't have auto topic subscribe enabled!

Initially I didn't understand the point of the multiple tempo entries (I thought it would give me x separate tempos at y bars long each, not one giant file with tempo changes).

I don't really understand the point behind being able to do that (you would need to know exactly how long each section needs to be before hand or keep jumping back and forth between the app and DAW each time you go past the preset length)... I can't really see people using this.

It would probably work better to generate 1 bar and just copy/paste the file already in the DAW. And each line in the generator app should output a separate file. That way I could spit out a bunch of individual files to be used whenever I see fit.

In fact, if we're not getting a plugin and this app is the way to go, what about an option to auto generate 1 bar of all whole tempos from x-y. That way I could just have a folder of BPM's all ready to go. And if I need something obscure later on (like 127.4) I could manually do that (as long as the option gets implemented later..which I'm not sure it will because you can't set decimal points on the device...).

But anyway those are my thoughts.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for your thoughts MLaf, much appreciated!!
The reason why the tool is generating one big file is because, in my tests, I saw DAWs send weird erroneous signals when transitioning from one file to another. It would get the Midronome either to "glitch" on the tempo, or sometimes even to loose the sync.

Basically sticking to the Midronome core values, I prioritized heavily stability and reliability over practicability. So the current way is not practical - but it works and is reliable.

The way I see the future is:
* current way (=one big wav sync file) is the most stable and reliable, it's also the only solution that works in every DAW, or even every hardware
* a plugin will show up with only support for a specific DAW, probably starting with Ableton since this is the most used

The plugin will never be as reliable as the long sync wav file but for specific DAWs it should work decently ;)
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

I wonder if it jumps when going from file to file because of the DAWs timestretching or auto fades on audio clips (if enabled). There's also the fact that the end of the file might have extra padding that needs to be trimmed? Need to test it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Can the bpm of the sync file be included in the file name? That way, if I choose to generate a bunch of 7 min sync files for the bpms I most commonly use (until the plugin exists for Studio One :D ) it's easy to keep them in a directory and just grab the right one.

Which bring to mind another feature - maybe this is already there but I admit I've not used the sync file generator yet: the ability to generate multiple files of multiple bpms in a batch.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

@Dave
I was suggesting that some info be added automatically to the generated files but as @Simon mentions it becomes difficult when using tempo files with bpm changes (what the app currently does).

I did also ask the same regarding multiple files in one go.

I think a bpm into the name even with tempo changes is fine
Sync-80bpm-89bpm-83bpm-122bpm-[Offset-2ms].wav or something

I'm sure we could come up with a decent naming convention.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys, we'll improve that :)
Simon

Re: [DONE] Sync File Generator - auto file names suggestion

Post by Simon »

Done - this was implemented in v1.0 of the Sync File Generator.