Power Consumption Estimate

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
samaero

Power Consumption Estimate

Post by samaero »

Hi there! Any idea what the power consumption of the Midronome is going to be? Trying to figure out if it'll be able to be bus powered or not (2021 Macbook Pros can provide 900ma per TB4 port).
Simon

Re: Power Consumption Estimate

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Well the device gets its power from the USB port, which means it is bus powered, there is no other power supply :)

It works with USB 2.0 which means it does not draw at any point more than 500mA (so yes your 2021 Macbook Pro will work with it without any issue).

As for how much of the battery it will drain - not much really, I think you can estimate an average of 50 to 100mA (i.e. 0.25W to 0.5W) depending on how bright you make the display and what you connect on the audio output.
samaero

Post by samaero »

Excellent, ty Simon!
Novoline

Post by Novoline »

I tried running the midronome from a fully charged Hama powerpack, one which I’ve used to power two rk008’s at once, and it shut off.. I tried twice and then just assumed it must need usb power from a plug (or computer) so I didn’t explore further. Now seeing this message I can explore again, but wondering if anyone else has tried with power packs. they are a great solution for powering small stuff!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes, people have :)
There was a short discussion about it on the facebook group. Basically, the Midronome draws too little power for the Power bank to register there is something connected.

You can try changing the brightness to increase the power consumption - the power bank I have at home turns off if the brightness is 001 or 002. From 003 and higher it stays on :)

Simon