[DONE] “All MIDI notes off” function

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
Hejmathias

[DONE] “All MIDI notes off” function

Post by Hejmathias »

Feature suggestion: Have a button combination (“Tap tempo” + “Mute”) send a global “All MIDI notes off” message. Not strictly timing related, but a nice way to guarantee everything stops at the same time!

Also, it’s a nice feature to have readily available in any MIDI setup (especially dawless) to fix stuck notes.

(Ported from FB group)
Simon

Re: “All MIDI notes off” function

Post by Simon »

Awesome Mathias, thanks :)
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

Would it be just as well to send All Notes Off along with Stop every time?

In external sync mode, my sequencer software responds well to Midronome, i.e., starts, follows, & stops, as do my hardware sequencers. And at the end of a tune, it sends All Notes Off to the sound modules.

But when I press Midronome Stop mid-tune, the sound modules continue sounding the last notes played, and I have to go back to the computer to send ANO.

As this typically happens many times in the course of arranging a tune, the minor inconvenience multiplies, and the double-button press solution would not be [ed., much of] an improvement in my case.

I'm sure Simon will take the pulse of the community on this All Notes Off question, so if you read this, please toss in your two cents' worth. Thanks.
Last edited by J. John Mixson on 28 May 2023, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks John for writing here. I like this, and especially once the MIDI notes forwarding has been implemented this will be very easy to add.

Question 1: would it be a problem if this is sent all the time (no deactivate option)? i.e. can anyone find a case where you would not want to receive All Notes Off at the same time as stop?

Question 2: which message precisely, and should it be sent for all channels?
See "Channel Mode Messages" of the MIDI spec - these messages are channel specific, and there seem to be All Notes Off and All Sound Off, I am not sure if synths react to both.

Simon
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

The Roland manuals describe All Sounds Off (Controller number 120) under Channel Mode Messages (implying that the devices respond to it), but it is oddly omitted from the implementation tables (so maybe not).
"When this message is received, all notes currently sounding on the corresponding channel will be turned off."

All Notes Off (Controller number 123) is described in only one of the manuals but appears in both implementation tables.
"When All Notes Off is received, all notes on the corresponding channel will be turned off. However, if Hold 1 or Sostenuto is ON, the sound will be continued until these are turned off."
So, a device's Hold function could be a workaround for cases where ANO should be defeated.

My software automatically sends the value 00 for CC 64 Pedal (Sustain), also known as Hold 1, and for CC 123 at the end of a tune. It sends these over all channels.

My take is,
Answer 1: No deactivation option necessary.
Answer 2: All Notes Off over all channels.

Cheers everyone!
masi

Post by masi »

J. John Mixson wrote: 28 May 2023, 20:00 "When All Notes Off is received, all notes on the corresponding channel will be turned off. However, if Hold 1 or Sostenuto is ON, the sound will be continued until these are turned off."
This is actually what the MIDI spec asks for.

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/ntnoff.htm
http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/sndoff.htm

To be honest I didn't know of the peculiar behaviour of "all notes off" regarding the pedal and the omni-state. And the "all sounds off" message slipped my notice at all. Doesn't pop up regularly in manuals.

To get rid of hanging notes "all notes off" should IMHO be enough.

Masi
J. John Mixson

Post by J. John Mixson »

In response to the Voting Page - Something Else.

Send the MIDI message All Notes Off over all channels every time Midronome Stop is pressed.

Although not essential in my opinion, MIDI Data Forwarding might be the avenue for this (see above), so it's also getting one of my votes.

Thanks
Simon

Post by Simon »

Done - implemented in Firmware 2.0 which will be released soon.
It is sent with MIDI Stop every time, see viewtopic.php?t=234 for details.