Merger - Hub

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
Kood_x

Merger - Hub

Post by Kood_x »

Hey,

My current setup works uses a footswitch controller that can generate the midi clock. Signal is then chained thru my midi capables devices using their out/thru jacks. But by the time it reaches the last device it jitters so much that it adds a lot of artifacts to the sound. The biggest offender in the chain being the Fractal FM3.

I was planning to use a midi hub to distribute the midi commands instead of daisy chaining every pedal and modules. The Motu Micro lite is a great example.

Thinking to add the midronome as an easily accessible and accurate master clock for this setup. Would going through basic splitter / merger or devices like the Motu hubs have a considerable impact on the precision that the midronome procides?

Thanks again.
Simon

Re: Merger - Hub

Post by Simon »

Well I usually say it does not, but I guess you example prooves me wrong :lol:

But I would still say in most cases it's fine, just avoid chaining too much, use a MIDI Thru box instead, the Motu Micro lite for example.
In your case try to remove the one device (the FM3 it sems?) that affects the clock the most.

As for merging, yea that's another story since more messages need to be "inserted" and that can move the MIDI Clock messages a lot more. It depends what you are merging, just a few MIDI notes should be fine, but a huge flock of MIDI CC (while turning a knob for example) will be problems guaranteed with the clock.

And in either case, whether going through MIDI thru&merge or not, having a clock that is originally jitter-free and precise like the one from the Midronome, will definitely improve the stability and precision of the setup :)

Hope that helps!

Simon
76rich

Post by 76rich »

To save another topic on a similar question:

My plan, and it seems very much that this won't be an issue, is to have the main midi out of my audio interface go to my mididrome, then into my thru box, then onto my synth, drum machines and samplers

Should be fine yeah?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

I am afraid this will not work, the Midronome has to be the master. See the section "why isn’t the device syncing to MIDI Clock" in the Midronome manual ( https://midronome.com/support ) ;)

Cheers
Simon
Dave

Post by Dave »

Simon wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 12:15 Well I usually say it does not, but I guess you example prooves me wrong :lol:

But I would still say in most cases it's fine, just avoid chaining too much, use a MIDI Thru box instead, the Motu Micro lite for example.
In your case try to remove the one device (the FM3 it sems?) that affects the clock the most.

As for merging, yea that's another story since more messages need to be "inserted" and that can move the MIDI Clock messages a lot more. It depends what you are merging, just a few MIDI notes should be fine, but a huge flock of MIDI CC (while turning a knob for example) will be problems guaranteed with the clock.

And in either case, whether going through MIDI thru&merge or not, having a clock that is originally jitter-free and precise like the one from the Midronome, will definitely improve the stability and precision of the setup :)

Hope that helps!

Simon
I know this is an old post by this point, but I have all notes from my audio interface going to all synths plus the USAMO (until Midronome) clock going into a Kenton Merge and then into a Kenton Thru. I've never noticed any dropped anything yet. Kenton is solid gear.
Simon

Post by Simon »

That's awesome to know Dave thank you so much :)

I guess unless you really flood the MIDI merger with MIDI data, then yes the MIDI Clock messages should not move too much, or at least not enough so you can notice it - so that makes sense ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Simon wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 08:36 That's awesome to know Dave thank you so much :)

I guess unless you really flood the MIDI merger with MIDI data, then yes the MIDI Clock messages should not move too much, or at least not enough so you can notice it - so that makes sense ;)
To be specific, I have a Kenton MIDI Merge 4 going into a Kenton MIDI Thru 5. I merge the clock from the USAMO, which'll be replaced by the Midronome, and the notes from my audio interface MIDI out into one stream that then is sent to the Thru 5 to split out to the devices.

I cannot say what would happen with the 12+ port units if clock, notes, and automation are all surging through... but I bet it'd still be fine as long as some sanity is applied. Again, Kenton makes good gear. If going 12+, though, if there DO happen to be issues with the Kenton, I may look at the Erica Synths MIDI Thru, instead.

If in the US, Perfect Circuit tends to have the best prices on Kenton gear.