"Sync Signal Contents" questions

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
referenceaudio

"Sync Signal Contents" questions

Post by referenceaudio »

Hello,

It says on the Midronome website that the audio input can be used as a receiver to sync to a 24 ppqn audio pulse. This is great news for me, since i really prefer to use my eurorack as main clock source/sender! But I have a few questions about how it works.

First, it says: "Second half of last pulse before next bar should be higher". Is this normal for analog clocks of old (and new) hardware? What is it used for? And will it work even if the analog clock pulse is just at a constant voltage?

Second, will Midronome send a midi start message when detecting a high input on the jack, and a midi stop message when the signal is removed?

Looking forward to the new kickstarter campaign.
Simon

Re: "Sync Signal Contents" questions

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

So the short answer is: no the device cannot only sync to this special signal, which is composed of:
* a 24ppqn audio pulse
* the second part of the last pulse before the bar should be higher

which is the signal generated by the Midronome VST plugin. The device uses the higher pulse to know when the bar starts and will currently not work without this. But if you just want to sync the tempo, I could easily make a mode where it syncs to a 24 ppq signal, or even a "any" ppq signal.

Make an official suggestion for it in the New Features forum if this is something you would like to see ;)

Cheers
Simon
referenceaudio

Post by referenceaudio »

Hi Simon, thanks for the quick reply!

I see. I will do so :)
masi

Post by masi »

Simon wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 23:43which is the signal generated by the Midronome VST plugin. The device uses the higher pulse to know when the bar starts and will currently not work without this. But if you just want to sync the tempo, I could easily make a mode where it syncs to a 24 ppq signal, or even a "any" ppq signal.
Regular metronoms have the first pulse accented/higher, not the last. Or what is meant with the last part of the pulse?

So even when set to sync to 1ppq, ie a metronome for humans, the bar detection would not work.

Masi
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hey masi

I am confused why you are mentioning a metronome? The sync signal is a special audio signal, it has nothing to do with a metronome. And yes right now if you send a metronome to the device it will indeed not sync to it (but it could potentially work as I explained here: viewtopic.php?p=520#p520 ).

Cheers
Simon