Module Tempo Detection & MIDI Start/Stop

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
pmboos

Module Tempo Detection & MIDI Start/Stop

Post by pmboos »

I am looking forward to the relaunch of this...

I really would like to understand a bit more how the Tempo Detection will work on the module. My band has a few songs where we would like to hook in a sequencer. While we were contemplating sending the click to the drummer, I very much like the idea of tempo detection.

Also, what ability of turning on or off of the start/stop on the unit is there. I may be more interested in starting the sequencer myself and it slaving to the clock as opposed to having a start signal going....
Simon

Re: Module Tempo Detection & MIDI Start/Stop

Post by Simon »

Hey there :)

First I have to say that the Tempo Detection is a future feature, which will be implemented as an add-on module. It is a lot of work to implement, and for now I am focussing on the base device and having a successful Kickstarter :D But I really really want to do this, and will start working on it as soon as the base device is done and shipped ;)
See more info on the Module here: viewtopic.php?t=70

Tempo Detection will work exactly as the Tempo follower in Ableton ( https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... lowing-FAQ ) since I am going to use their code, at least it is the idea :)

In short: you just send a drum mix to the device and simply play, then the device adjusts the tempo if your drummer is slowing up or down. Sounds like magic ha ha :)
Note that you might need to start with the device (i.e. with the click) so you are in sync to start with. Then you can drop the click and let the tempo following algorithm do its thing.
pmboos wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 19:52 Also, what ability of turning on or off of the start/stop on the unit is there. I may be more interested in starting the sequencer myself and it slaving to the clock as opposed to having a start signal going....
I am not sure I understand that :roll: The start/stop button will start/stop your sequencers, in time with the bar (if you press it will start on the first beat of the next bar). You can control it via a pedal, via two pedals (one per MIDI output), and via MIDI messages (soon over bluetooth - for now you will need something connected to the USB port to send those MIDI messages).

Cheers
/Simon
pmboos

Re: Module Tempo Detection & MIDI Start/Stop

Post by pmboos »

Thanks for the answers and you answered the start/stop question in a manner that maybe I just wasn't seeing on the website.

I realize that detection won't be easy; noise, non-straight beats (jazz would be super difficult), differences in time signatures, etc. would make that quite difficult. Anyway, looking forward to the Kickstarter relaunch.