Audio Sync/DAW Sync Ableton [HELP]

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
PABZ

Audio Sync/DAW Sync Ableton [HELP]

Post by PABZ »

Hi guys,

I am a little bit of a noob when it comes to input/output etc so bare with me.

So boom I use Ableton as a DAW and my computer is MPB 16inch 2019 model.

I have a Hydrasynth Deluxe that I am trying to get the timing as tight as possible which is why I bought a Midronome.

The USB-MIDI setup didnt do anything for me in terms of timing it was still late by a lot.

Now I am going to try the Audio Sync method but as a noob I am completely lost after a certain point.

I have a Komplete Audio MK2 as an Audio Interface which have 4 outputs. 2 of them are currently used by my Monitors.

So I have 3 and 4 left.

So now I then plugged an Audio Cable into the Output 3 of my Audio Interface into the INPUT of the Midronome, correct?

I then put a MIDI Cable to the MIDI in for my Hydrasynth Deluxe to the MIDI 1 of the Midronome, correct?

Now the Ableton with the loop file this is where the confusion begins...

(PS some tutorial would help for first timers of hardware synths)

So now I am so confused about the Loop part. I generated the file... and then I presumed I need to put that audio file into an audio track in Ableton like this?

https://ibb.co/Qnrbdnc

I figured that I need to put the track where the sync wav files in to Ext.In 3 since I put it in the OUTPUT 3 of my Audio Interface. But when I played the files why even in Sync mode in the Midronome theres no LEDS lighting up?

^^^ This is the step I dont understand like what i/o setting do I need to put in the Audio track where sync wav files is in..

This is how I usually record my HSLX in Ableton External Instrument Device -> Audio Track if that can help.

https://ibb.co/7KrrKFD

I also put my Hydraysynth for his Clock to follow the "CLOCK MIDI IN" and not USB.

And then what else do I need to do.. I already put the Midronome into Syn Mode now the two LEDS are off...

Can someone please help me out?
Simon

Re: Audio Sync/DAW Sync Ableton [HELP]

Post by Simon »

Hey PABZ, thanks for writing here :)

Audio Sync with Ableton in particular will soon be improved, and yes setup videos are coming, so maybe all you need is to wait a bit.

your setup seems correct:
Cable from output 3 to INPUT of the Midronome
MIDI Cable from MIDI out on Midronome

In Ableton you are setting the track to INPUT 3 ("Audio From"), this is not correct. The input does not matter, what matters is the OUPUT of the track, which should be set to 3.

Then you can adjust the volume of the track as the LEDs of the Midronome will light up (when the device is in the settings showing "Syn"). Once the volume is ok you can leave the settings and it will sync.

One important point though: right now you cannot really use the track as a loop in Ableton - this is something we are still working on. You will need to go to tracks view and import it in the timeline. And notice that you will need to set your session's tempo correctly as well as deactivating warp on the sync track, otherwise the sync will have errors.

Pieter on the Midronome Facebook group made an Ableton sync device which might make things easier for you :)
=> https://www.facebook.com/groups/midronomevip

Cheers
Simon
barbd

Post by barbd »

Ah, this is helpful. I hadn't realised you couldn't drop the sync audio into session view in Ableton.

Hmmm. Any chance you could share the Ableton sync device on this forum? I deleted my FB account and I'm not keen to go back...

Thanks!
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

I don't even use Ableton Live but I also second the request to host these files someplace that's not Facebook. Closed my account 10 years ago and won't be opening a new one.
PABZ

Post by PABZ »

Simon wrote: 04 May 2023, 06:40 Hey PABZ, thanks for writing here :)

Audio Sync with Ableton in particular will soon be improved, and yes setup videos are coming, so maybe all you need is to wait a bit.

your setup seems correct:
Cable from output 3 to INPUT of the Midronome
MIDI Cable from MIDI out on Midronome

In Ableton you are setting the track to INPUT 3 ("Audio From"), this is not correct. The input does not matter, what matters is the OUPUT of the track, which should be set to 3.

Then you can adjust the volume of the track as the LEDs of the Midronome will light up (when the device is in the settings showing "Syn"). Once the volume is ok you can leave the settings and it will sync.

One important point though: right now you cannot really use the track as a loop in Ableton - this is something we are still working on. You will need to go to tracks view and import it in the timeline. And notice that you will need to set your session's tempo correctly as well as deactivating warp on the sync track, otherwise the sync will have errors.

Pieter on the Midronome Facebook group made an Ableton sync device which might make things easier for you :)
=> https://www.facebook.com/groups/midronomevip

Cheers
Simon
Thank you now I got it !!

Hopefully it gets better for Ableton. It would be cool to get a plugins that works like the USAMO ONE.

And whoever that want the Instrument Rack made by Pieter just PM your email and I will send it through.

I do agree that it would be cool for the community to be more active here. I am not the biggest fan of Facebook either.

EDIT: Meh it's still not working in timing for me. Did everything well in the manual and in theory everything seems to work. I get the --- in the Midronome as soon as it plays but it's still not in sync :(. Really hope something comes along that works better for Ableton.
Last edited by PABZ on 04 May 2023, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

@Simon can you at least make the FB group public so users without accounts can view it?
barbd

Post by barbd »

Thanks @Pabz. I'm not able to pm you just yet as I haven't been active enough on this forum(!) but maybe this message will do it!
Pluppo

Post by Pluppo »

I was about to join in saying I could not get Ableton to sync, then I tried inverting the signal with Utility and the sync was working.

Perhaps it has something to do with my soundcard, it's a MOTU AVB.

I really hope a VST that allows for tempo changes can be made, I really would like that.
PABZ

Post by PABZ »

Pluppo wrote: 04 May 2023, 22:39 I was about to join in saying I could not get Ableton to sync, then I tried inverting the signal with Utility and the sync was working.

I really hope a VST that allows for tempo changes can be made, I really would like that.
Could you please get in details? What do you mean inverting the signal with Utility? I am still not getting tight timing without little bit of adjustments.
Simon

Post by Simon »

MLaf wrote: 04 May 2023, 21:34 @Simon can you at least make the FB group public so users without accounts can view it?
Sorry I cannot, Facebook will not let me do this. You're not missing out much, it's just a lot discussion and complaints ha ha :lol:

I uploaded the plugin and the post from Pieter here for now (I have not tested it).
Attachments
post from Pieter.png
Midronome Sync Project.zip
(70.21 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Pluppo

Post by Pluppo »

PABZ wrote: 04 May 2023, 22:58
Pluppo wrote: 04 May 2023, 22:39 I was about to join in saying I could not get Ableton to sync, then I tried inverting the signal with Utility and the sync was working.

Could you please get in details? What do you mean inverting the signal with Utility? I am still not getting tight timing without little bit of adjustments.
At fist I was getting no sync at all, then I used the Ableton "Utility" audio effect, set the input to "Left", and inverted the signal by clicking on the "Ø L" button. I think the issue was that my soundcard was outputting the opposite phase then what the Midronome was expecting.

I still didn't get much use of that sync track, it's not very convenient for me if I cannot change the tempo. I tried that instrument rack from Pieter in the Facebook group, that was a lot better than using the sync track. I was able to get it nicely in sync by adjusting the "offset".
PABZ

Post by PABZ »

Pluppo wrote: 05 May 2023, 23:51
PABZ wrote: 04 May 2023, 22:58

At fist I was getting no sync at all, then I used the Ableton "Utility" audio effect, set the input to "Left", and inverted the signal by clicking on the "Ø L" button. I think the issue was that my soundcard was outputting the opposite phase then what the Midronome was expecting.

I still didn't get much use of that sync track, it's not very convenient for me if I cannot change the tempo. I tried that instrument rack from Pieter in the Facebook group, that was a lot better than using the sync track. I was able to get it nicely in sync by adjusting the "offset".
I've PM'ed you with some questions regarding Pieter Instrument Rack. I want to make sure if I am doing everything right or I am just unlucky.
datschaub

Post by datschaub »

Yes, I've experienced similar issues unfortunately. The whole reason and selling point of this device for me was to easily sync Ableton to my hardware, which by the looks of it (demo videos etc) seemed to work very smoothly. I know how hard you have been working on this project Simon, and I know that you are also readily available to answer our questions and receive feedback, but to be honest in this current state I am not sure that I will use the device.

I've only just managed to get it to sync alright using Peter's Ableton rack, but it's not an ideal solution. It's accurate most of the time, but stopping/playing several times can give unpredictable results. Sometimes it will sync but sometimes it will just send a really short signal and then stop. This could perhaps be due to how Ableton handles the playback head depending on different interactions (stop + play, or play from the middle of a midi clip etc), but in the end the experience is far from seamless.

I don't want to sound too negative here, because this is an incredible project and an incredible effort from you Simon! Really good work. But I will probably wait for future improvements for Ableton