[R] Firmware Updater error and DAT ERR on the Midronome

Reported bugs on the DAW Plugin or on Software Tools (Firmware Updater, etc.)
Topics ar marked as: [R]=Rejected, [A]=Approved, [WIP]=Work in Progress, [F]=Fixed
Forum rules
  • Use the search function to see if your bug has already been reported
  • Only post in a topic if it is directly related to the reported bug or feature. If not or if you're not sure, please use the Discussions & debates forum.
Thank you so much for reporting bugs <3 - it helps A LOT :)
Sublamp

[R] Firmware Updater error and DAT ERR on the Midronome

Post by Sublamp »

STATUS: will not be solved. Workaround: close all other MIDI software on your computer while upgrading your Midronome.

-----

Software Tool : Firmware Updater v0.1beta

Operating System and version: macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Short description of the issue:
After choosing the firmware file in the updater app and pressing the blinking mute button the device would instantly give me an ERR DAT message and then would only start up in bootload mode. I was able to finally load the firmware and the device started up normally after disconnecting all other USB devices besides the Midronome from my MacBook Pro and running the Firmware Updater again.

Steps to Reproduce:
Described above. The other USB devices connected to my computer that could possibly be interfering are an Audient ID44 mk1 interface (I believe it sends midi data for the control wheel, but I could be wrong about that) and a Touche SE midi controller by Expressive E (I think this might be the culprit).

Thanks!!!
Simon

Re: Firmware Updater error when other USB midi devices are connected

Post by Simon »

Thanks for reporting :)

We'll look into this but it might be difficult to solve.

In the meantime, if this ever happens to you, there is a simple workaround: close all other MIDI software (DAWs, etc.).
  • Don't panic if you see your device is only starting the bootloader: as the firmware update failed it does not have a valid firmware on the device so it launches the bootloader.
  • To load the firmware correctly, make sure all software that could potentially send MIDI data are closed.
  • This should be enough (to be verified), if not try to unplug all other USB devices, removing hubs if possible, leaving only the Midronome and the computer.
Cheers
Simon
Simon

[R] Firmware Updater error when other USB midi devices are connected

Post by Simon »

This will not be solved as it will be needing an update of the Bootloader, which is a rather complex (and risky) upgrade procedure for such a minor issue.

The workaround is very simple: close all other MIDI software on your computer while upgrading your Midronome.

PS: adding here an interesting issue resolving of this from Jandt:
Jandt wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 23:24I'm running an Intel Macbook with MacOS Big Sur. [Upgrading my Midronome, I got] "Dat err" whatever I tried. After some time I finally figured out it was a running Elektron Overbridge process (I own a Digitone) that caused the issue and somehow interfered with the update. After shutting down the Overbridge engine, everything went fine.