DAT ERR when trying to upgrade firmware

Any questions about the Software Tools (FirmwareUpdater, SyncFileGenerator, ErrorLogExtractor)
fables

DAT ERR when trying to upgrade firmware

Post by fables »

Hi

I just received my Midronomes and have issues upgrading the firmware.

I can open the installer and get to the page where I have to confirm that the midronomee displays "rdy". However, shortly after the device displays "dAt Err". The updater states that no device is connected.

In "normal" mode, e.g. Ableton Live lists the midronom in its available midi device list.

The midronom is plugged directly into my MacBook Pro M1 running MacOS 12.6.2. Rebooting the Mac doesn't change things. I have tried both my Midronomes, same issue on both.

Any thoughts?
Simon

Re: DAT ERR when trying to upgrade firmware

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Someone had the same issue on the FB group - it was because Ableton was running and sending MIDI Data to the bootloader.
That would explain both why the device shows "Dat err" (it received wrong data) and why the Firmware Updater tool cannot find the device (it is already in use by another software).

Try closing all other software and see if it helps :)

Cheers
SImon
fables

Post by fables »

Thank you Simon!

That makes sense. I had to make sure no other programs were interfering, not only Ableton Live, but then it worked flawlessly.

Cheers
- Boris
Jandt

Post by Jandt »

Just adding to this: I'm running an Intel Macbook with MacOS Big Sur, received my Midronome today and tried to update to 1.1 as recommended - and just couldn't get it to work. "Dat err", whatever I tried. After some time I finally figured out it was a running Elektron Overbridge process (I own a Digitone) that caused the issue and somehow interfered with the update. After shutting down the Overbridge engine, everything went fine. Just in case there's other Elektron users...
Simon

Post by Simon »

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing, I'll make sure to redirect people here if they have the same issue ;)

Just FYI - this question relates to this: viewtopic.php?t=198