MIDI clock to USB class compliant hardware

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
Bradders

MIDI clock to USB class compliant hardware

Post by Bradders »

Can usb midi clock be sent from the unit to usb class complaint hardware? Or it is just for DAWs?

I’ve connected my midronome to my akai force via usb and the i/o’s are recognised and showing but when I press play the BPM sounds more like in the 200s rather than the one showing on the units display.

I’ve tried different combinations of enabling and disabling the midi inputs on the force but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Is this a bug or am I trying to do something it’s not designed for yet?
Attachments
IMG_3733.jpeg
Simon

Re: MIDI clock to USB class compliant hardware

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

This particular setup has not been tested but I do not see why it should not work. Someone successfully managed to sync the OP-1 field to the Midronome over USB, this is the same setup from the Midronome's point of view.

I can see from your picture that the Midronome is recognized properly, with the 3 MIDI interfaces showing.
Then all you need is to select Midronome Clock only or Midronome Clock & Start (depending on if you want your Akai Force to start or not when you press PLAY on the Midronome) and tell your Akai Frce to sync to the MIDI Clock sent to this MIDI Device.

The last point (underlined) might be the issue: maybe this is not possible. I am not familiar with Akai Force, I suggest you google things on how to do this, possibly ask on Akai Force specific forums ;)

Simon
Bradders

Post by Bradders »

The attachment size limit on the forum won’t let me upload videos so I’ve posted them on the fb group thread

I’ve tried the midi clock only setting whilst connected via usb but it didn’t make a difference.

Also I’ve posted on the Akai force group to see if my settings are correct and to see if anyone has connected an erm multi clock via usb, as I’m assuming they work in the same way
Simon

Post by Simon »

Moved to Questions Forums where this belongs.
masi

Post by masi »

I have tested the MIDI sync from USB with an MPC One and the results are not good. The MPC needs about 8 beats (I simply did a four on the floor and nothing else) to get up to speed. The BPM seems indeed to be higher than indicated by the display. But the real problem is that the MPC cannot hold the time. That's not jitter, it's stutter.

Sidenote: the manal says thet by enabling an external MIDI clock you loose the option to record audio. You have to use MIDI Time Code to overcome this limitation. Does the Midronome send out Time Codes?

Masi
Simon

Post by Simon »

Interesting masi, thanks for the info :)

No MIDI Time Code from the Midronome - for now at least... I did investigate a while ago (one or two years ago actually!) and got some really terrible results so I abandonned the idea but I could check it again. Feel free to create a topic in Discussions & Debates ( viewforum.php?f=11 ) if you want the feature to be considered ;)
masi

Post by masi »

FYI: Syncing the MPC One with the "real" MIDI in works like a charm. No lagging or jittering.

Masi