Device will not enter bootloader mode

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
MLaf

Device will not enter bootloader mode

Post by MLaf »

Short description of the issue: Device will not enter bootloader mode

Setup (devices connected to the Midronome and how): Device is plugged into USB port of computer

Steps to Reproduce: Press and hold Tap Tempo, Play and Mute and then insert USB to power on

Expected Behavior: Device enters bootloader

Actual Behavior: Device does not enter bootloader, just powers on as normal (I do not see the outline on the display like in the firmware updater video)

ErrorLog (from the ErrorLogExtractor - https://midronome.com/support ): N/A

Has the Midronome firmware been recently upgraded, from which version to which version? No because I can't enter bootloader.
MLaf

Re: Device will not enter bootloader mode

Post by MLaf »

I actually think my play button is defective which is why it doesn't enter bootloader. The unit won't play (pressing Play does nothing). No light on play button and the Pla on display does not show.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Yep, Play button is broken :(
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

It might just be a bad solder joint but my eyes are getting too old to tell lol.
IMG_1119.jpeg
IMG_1120.jpeg
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ha thanks for checking! This pin is the LED of the switch and not the switch itself. Also I would say it looks fine on the pictures. One way to check the Play button LED without pressing the button is to send MIDI Start from a computer (for example, a DAW sending MIDI clock to the "Midronome Commands" USB-MIDI device will send MIDI Start when you press play in the DAW).

Please send an email to contact@midronome.com, I will proceed for a repair. But the first thing you will have to do is wait as I do not have the replacement parts yet. Sorry about this - in the meantime feel free to use your Midronome without the button if you can :)

(Moving this topic since this is not a bug but a defect)
ccr

Post by ccr »

@MLaf - I have exactly the same problem, and it seems that there are other Midronomes with broken "Play" switches out there as well.
@Simon - To follow up on our email exchanges: could you give us any kind of timeline and indication about how you are planning to fix this, please?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes, 4 with broken Play buttons. There might be a few more coming, so let's wait and see :)

And sorry no update for now, and there will not be until everybody has received their device at least.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

I was planning on using the Midronome as the master clock so it’s kind of useless without a working play button. Will send an email to the address provided as soon as I can.

When you say a repair will I have to send the unit to you to be fixed and then it’s sent back or will a working unit be sent to me and then I just return the broken one?
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Simon wrote: 03 May 2023, 08:34 in the meantime feel free to use your Midronome without the button if you can :)
So I just tried this tonight (to see how DAW sync was working) but I can't even select Syn from the inP menu in settings. I just have OFF, PEd, PAd, and P.A.d...

:(
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes that's firmware 0.1, the "Syn" option came in firmware 1.0 :roll:

I'll send you a mail very soon - I have something you could try.
ccr

Post by ccr »

Good news :) !! - For bootloader mode/firmware update, or also for fixing the play button issue?
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

ccr wrote: 07 May 2023, 21:38
Good news :) !! - For bootloader mode/firmware update, or also for fixing the play button issue?
I'm guessing for bootloader mode. Pretty sure the broken play button is hardware related.
vocalbird

Post by vocalbird »

I also have a broken play button (sent an email as requested) but I figured out how to trigger PLAY anyway from the unit.
Put the PLAY button setup into SEP (separate) and plug into the midi 2 port and use the MUTE button instead.

That lets me use the unit as the master clock without needing to trigger it from a DAW.

Though I would like to be able to update the firmware, this gets me what I needed today.

EDIT: This also means I can't get to any advanced settings, either.
MLaf

Post by MLaf »

Enter bootloader with the broken play is tricky but doable. Just follow the enter bootloader instructions and trigger the play when power on using the method you figured out. I had to short some pins on the board manually. At least firmware got updated but I still can’t really use it as the daw sync method doesn’t work too well for me.
Simon

Post by Simon »

vocalbird wrote: 20 May 2023, 23:26 I also have a broken play button (sent an email as requested) but I figured out how to trigger PLAY anyway from the unit.
Put the PLAY button setup into SEP (separate) and plug into the midi 2 port and use the MUTE button instead.
Love it!! :D Gosh I made the device and I did not even think about that, it's a great workaround thank you so much!!

@everybody: you should have all received an email with steps you can do to investigate whether only the PLAY button is broken or there is more. In there you will then have a way (as explained MLaf) to upgrade the firmware. Note it is very DIY and if you are not comfortable with this then please just let me know. I hope to proceed with the repairs soon (sorry no precise ETA atm, think a couple of weeks or so).