[DONE] Extend USB Commands

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
OrangeGorilla

[DONE] Extend USB Commands

Post by OrangeGorilla »

Hello everyone,
I think it would be useful to have more usb midi commands implemented, like muting/unmuting, what do you think?

This would be very helpful for me, in particular if the feature of "Mute following play button" is not going to be implemented in the near future, and maye this would be more easily implemented.

Great little device, BTW, thanks Simon!
Simon

Re: Extend USB Commands

Post by Simon »

Does anyone have any other suggestion, except mute/unmute?

Cheers
Simon

PS: see viewtopic.php?t=232
Simon

Post by Simon »

All done - Firmware v1.1 available - download it here: viewtopic.php?t=238
ladelfa

Post by ladelfa »

I have one: the full-gamut tempo control on CCs 85 and 86 would also be useful to get on a single NRPN, where you pass
  1. desired tempo value as an integer between 30 and 400, e.g. 60 gets you 60 bpm
  2. tempo value times ten as an integer between 300 and 4000, e.g. 600 gets you 60 bpm
  3. tempo value between 0 and 16383, mapping that (logarithmically?) across the whole of Midronome's functional tempo range
The last of these would provide for the greatest granularity of tempo, but I think for most applications No. 2 will suffice, and be easier to document.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I guess you means either option 1, 2 or 3?
These might need to be on another CC as it could be confusing to current users using CC 85 and 86 if it suddenly changes the way it handles the values.
ladelfa

Post by ladelfa »

Yes, one of those three suggested implementations, but no, not a CC (128 values possible); I am talking about a Non-Registered Parameter Number (NRPN), supporting 16,384 values in a single message.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ok I did not know about these - I'll investigate, it does sound a lot better than 2 CCs! Thanks for the suggestion :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

I did some investigation, as well as reading the MIDI spec about NRPN.
It sounds too complicated for what it is: the correct way would be to send MIDI CC 99 +98 (NRPN MSB + LSB),
then followed by either MIDI CC 06 + 38 (Data entry MSB + LSB) or MIDI CC 96 or 97 (data increment/decrement).

I doubt anybody would actually use this? Feel free to tell me otherwise :)

A simpler implementation could be mapping two MIDI CCs, for example CC 110 and 111, values going from 0 to 16383 to a tempo from 30 to 400 (and yes, mapping logarithmically is a great idea ;) ).