Midi in - Metronome out

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
lisiecki1

Midi in - Metronome out

Post by lisiecki1 »

I am looking for a small footprint solution that will take a 5 pin midi input beat clock and output an audio metronome that I can run to a channel on a live mixer.

Will this do that?

My usage is:

Ipad (setlist maker) midi over usb to line 6 helix, helix 5 pin out to boss ve-500 vocal processor. Ipad sends the tempo for each programmed song to the helix to sync delays, etc.

Could I put the midronome in that chain to send an audible click based on the tempo received from the ipad?
Simon

Re: Midi in - Metronome out

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

The short answer is that if all you need is a metronome I doubt the Midronome is the solution. The Midronome can be used in many different ways though, so I suggest you investigate a bit more how it could improve your setup.

The whole point is that its MIDI clock is precise and stable, and that it is used a Master Clock. So if you can arrange your setup and make the Midronome the master instead, I highly suggest you do that.

A few ideas (things the device can do) which could circumvent the problem:
1) add a MIDI input as a module (the device's module interface is open source and I will provide simple module designs, a single MIDI input will porbably be one of these), then the firmware will need to be updated to accept MIDI Clock on this port
2) sending a special audio sync signal (the one used with "DAW sync") will sync the Midronome to whatever you are running. Then the Midronome will create MIDI Clock and metronome from that - see here: https://youtu.be/9j5Pqt11Xm8
3) sending a regular audio signal, or tapping a pedal or drum pad to set the tempo on the Midronome

I hope that clarifies a few things - feel free to ask some more :)

Cheers
Simon
lisiecki1

Post by lisiecki1 »

Thank you, Simon!

With the midi over usb in the unit I think it will work exactly as I'd like it to. I'll just send midi tempo over usb to the midronome and then use it to sync tempo on my other devices.

How difficult would it be for an end user to integrate a footswitch to control the mute function?
Simon

Post by Simon »

The Midronome only *sends* MIDI Clock over USB, it does not receive it (and for a good reason: that would mean using your DAW's clock or computer clock as a master source... which is very unreliable - that's the whole point of using the Midronome as a master clock instead).
But then you have many other ways to sync DAW to Midronome, for example using the special "DAW sync" which uses an audio signal instead of USB.

For the footswitch controlling the Mute function - that's already a feature of the MIdronome. All you need is a footswitch (for example a sustain pedal or a guitar amp footswitch).