module extension

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
n4Sphere

module extension

Post by n4Sphere »

hey simon,

i have read your latest mail. great information and ideas. the module approach is a quite smart one. everyone who wants the features with wifi/bluetooth can add it.
Simon

Re: module extension

Post by Simon »

Thanks man - great to know you like the idea! :D
1vl

Post by 1vl »

Hi, I would like to throw in a different view.
Yes, firmware updates via USB seems to be a really good idea for us users and also for you, I guess.

If you think about having a basic version plus a dongle for extension, you might also consider 2 versions, a basic and an advanced one with additional features built in. They could share the same housing and most of the components inside. For live use I always try to minimize extra connections, cables etc.... so maybe this aporach might also be interesting for you and others?!

Looking forward to what you come up with

Stefan
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Stefan

That is not a bad idea - but the first production batch (i.e. the one with Kickstarter) will have the basic version. So with your idea anyone who backed the Kickstarter and want the fancy stuff will need to buy the new version.

Other issue is to add Ableton Link f.x. I need to change the casing as it needs WiFi (which needs a plastic case - partially at least).

I agree with your point though, Live usage there should be limited things that can go out of place. But that's why my goal is to make that dongle as little, and especially as flat as possible, so that you simply can leave it on the device permanently.

It's still at the idea stage but in my mind that dongle will not have any controls, no display, just maybe one button to do bluetooth pairing, and an LED to indicate status. Then you can control it all from your phone via Bluetooth, or from the computer via USB.
So the hardware should basically be a big fancy CPU in a plastic case. The CPU itself will be pricey but making it all in a simple case should really help keeping the price down ;)
n4Sphere

Post by n4Sphere »

would it be possible to use existing dongles, such as the one from logitech you get with mouse or keybord? or any other?
Simon

Post by Simon »

The module is a "Midronome module", not a "USB receiver" (=what you get from a logitech mouse).

So unfortunately no, it is very specific to the Midronome and only this module will work :)

Since last I've been giving more thoughts to how and where the module should be, and I had an idea: a flat (say max 1cm) module that is the exact size of the side (red) panel of the Midronome, that will simply clip there, so it is permanently attached to the device. I'll make a 3D diagram eventually to show you :D
n4Sphere

Post by n4Sphere »

now you lost me, i thought that dongle needs to go in the audio output channel. or can you just attached it on the unit itself.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The dongle will be connected to the Midronome via USB. Hence the importance of adding USB to the device :)

I think things will be clearer once you see a 3D model of it - in like a few months or so, for now I gotta focus on this USB business ;)