[DONE] Start the Midronome with a MIDI CC# (MIDI Start)

Discuss or suggest new features here.
Please do not report bugs here, use the "Bug Reports" forum instead.
1vl

[DONE] Start the Midronome with a MIDI CC# (MIDI Start)

Post by 1vl »

It would be nice to START the Midronome with a CC# (this would complete the already implemented features with MIDI continue and Midi Stop via CC#).
Unfortunately, not all MIDI devices are able to send MIDI start and it is even not always easy to set up in the DAW.

This has already been discussed here...
viewtopic.php?t=373
Simon

Re: wish: Start the Midronome with a MIDI CC# (MIDI Start)

Post by Simon »

Thanks for creating the topic ;)
Unless someone makes a case against it, this has a very good chance of being implemented at the next release.
Simon

Re: [DONE] Start the Midronome with a MIDI CC# (MIDI Start)

Post by Simon »

This will come as part of Firmware 3.0 already. Two MIDI CC's have been added as shown below.

Simon
Attachments
midi-cc.png
1vl

Post by 1vl »

wow, I couldn't look that fast - Thank you, Simon!!
I find this super helpful, as it makes it possible to integrate the Midronome, especially automatically/using controllers/hardware.

Out of interest: Is there a reason why the start CC# are split differently than stop/continue?
Start value 20 = Port X vs. Continue/Stop has 1 command each for port 1 and one for port 2.
1vl

Post by 1vl »

Just tested with the hardware. The Midronome responds nicely to everything, except of course the start command that is coming in fw3.0

So nice, that this is possible now (=then)! In fact, a controller needs some slots to tell the midronome exactly what to do...:
1. CC# for Midi Start Port X
2. CC# for unmute
3. CC# for Tempo
4. CC# for time signature
5. (Tempo can eat up 2 CC#) or send Midi to other device...

With a shared command for start+unmute and one for stop+mute the amount of messages can be reduced maybe...?
Or of course with Midronome presets this could perhaps be done with one command...
Attachments
Midronome start all ports, unmute, 60BPM, 2_4.png
Simon

Post by Simon »

Interesting point about the combo stop+mute command, but this is very specific so I'm afraid adding it will add too much clutter.
Moreover, with the "Mute button follows Play button" feature it will be enough to send a start/stop command.

And yes presets (when implemented) will also be able to be changed via a command, and the presets could include the metronome state as well (feel free to mention what a preset should and should not include on viewtopic.php?t=37 )

I was thinking using a MIDI Song Select to change to preset X. Any thoughts on that?
1vl wrote: 17 May 2024, 14:44 Is there a reason why the start CC# are split differently than stop/continue?
Start value 20 = Port X vs. Continue/Stop has 1 command each for port 1 and one for port 2.
Yes my logic was 0 for port X, 1 for port 1 and 2 for port 2.
Resetting on port 2 only is not posssible, hence why there is no 22.
1vl

Post by 1vl »

the "Mute button follows Play button" feature it will be enough to send a start/stop command.
Didn't see that - thanks for the tip!
This requires an extra foot switch, but sounds like an extremely simple and reliable solution.

And thank you for your explanations!
Simon

Post by Simon »

1vl wrote: 21 May 2024, 12:42 This requires an extra foot switch, but sounds like an extremely simple and reliable solution.
Ah you are speaking about the workaround - yes :)
But the feature itself (Mute follows Play) will probably be implemented eventually, either FW 4.0 or 3.x I would guess, then you won't need the footswitch ;)

Simon