How to send tempo/start/stop to Midronome from hardware?

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
1vl

How to send tempo/start/stop to Midronome from hardware?

Post by 1vl »

Hello,
Unfortunately I haven't found an idea here on the forum (yet):

I would like to give the Midronome tempo/start/stop signals from hardware (e.g. master keyboard, midi controller...).

According to Manual "4.3 - Midronome Commands" it can receive tempo instructions via CC on Ch 12, but only via USB.
Could this possibly work with a USB host box (no computer on stage)?

'mute/unmute' is good to have, but to coordinate live with other players, start/stop would also be great.
Is there a chance to send it to the Midronome from hardware?

I'm excited to hopefully see what is possible.
Thank you
Simon

Re: How to send tempo/start/stop to Midronome from hardware?

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Yes using the "Midronome Commands" USB interface is the way to go, and yes unfortunately since the device does not have any DIN-MIDI input, for now this is the only way.

Hardware add-on modules will eventually come out, one of them will be a MIDI input module so you can send these same commands over a simple DIN-MIDI cable (instead of USB). Another module might also add Bluetooth-MIDI where you'd be able to use something like a CME WIDI to send the commands over Bluetooth.

Simon
1vl

Post by 1vl »

Thank you Simon,

ok, I'll try out how/if it works with my Midi Host Box...just where is it...?
In any case, starting with Reset On aka "rewind" would be a suitable option for me.

Even if that works, count me as waiting for Add on Modules :-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

1vl wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 20:54 In any case, starting with Reset On aka "rewind" would be a suitable option for me.
I'm not sure what you mean but check the Midronome User Guide, there are quite a few options to start/stop/rewind depending on which message you send, I believe you'll find something that suits you ;)

Simon
1vl

Post by 1vl »

Hi Simon,
It's nice to see you so much here, even though you're certainly busy with the 3.0 beta... That can't be appreciated enough!

I hope this info helps someone with a similar setup:
I now have the Midronome tied via USB to my host box (Primova Sound MIDX-20), which listens on its DIN MIDI ports for CC# messages of my MIDI Controller/keyboard and forwards them via its USB port to the Midronome.

This way I can send start/stop/mute/unmute/tempo/clock from hardware to the Midronome without the need of a PC/DAW.
Nice :D
1vl

Post by 1vl »

Ok, now I have a small but crucial problem: I can "rewind" the midronome and always start with beat 1 by pressing the play button after a stop.
But how can this be done by sending CC# to it? I found CC103 with values 1 and 2, but this results in the cycle continuing and I have to wait for the next 1.

In live operation I sometimes start the tempo, but I also have external cues that I then have to “sit on”. And while I need both hands playing music I find myself unable to press a button at the same time... except with my foot.

Am I just missing this option in the manual or maybe it's yet to come?
Simon

Post by Simon »

What you are looking is MIDI Start, as stated in the manual:
User Guide - see https://go.midronome.com/userguide wrote:
MIDI Start: reset/rewind the clock ** and start machines on MIDI Port X *

* Port X = Port 1 and 2 if the setting PLA is set to “bot” (both), otherwise Port 1 only
** This is indepedent of the rES setting. But note that resets are not possible when
external sync is activated (inP = Syn, 24P, or 2.4.P.). In this case, MIDI Start will have the
same effect as MIDI Continue.
But I understand it might be nice to add this as a CC option as MIDI CC messages are easier to generate than a MIDI Start message- I suggest you create a topic in the Feature Request forum and I'll probably include it in the next release, maybe already v3.0 since this is very quick and easy to add.

And as for doing things with your feet, you can connect up to two footswitches to the Midronome, doing various things including a start/reset ;)