Jitter using as master clock (hardware only)

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
spacialrob

Jitter using as master clock (hardware only)

Post by spacialrob »

Hello,

I'm trying to use the Midronome as a master clock source to send clock to a Beatbuddy on DIN output 1, which is then synced to my Boomerang Looper. On DIN output 2 I have it hooked up to a synth arpeggiator. However, I've noticed the loops slowly get out of time when using Midronome as a clock source. Is this to be expected? Are there any settings I could change to troubleshoot? Thanks.
spacialrob

Re: Jitter using as master clock (hardware only)

Post by spacialrob »

Update:

May have found the cause in a Beatbuddy Setting. Under the MIDI Output settings, you can have it set to MIDI Merge, Out, or Thru, in addition to enabling/disabling sync (on behalf of the Beatbuddy). So far, choosing MIDI Merge and disabling sync, allowing the Midronome's clock to pass through, has worked without problems. I think there might be a conflict when BB is attempting to sync to the looper using its own timing, even if listening on the Midronome's clock, rather than the Midronome's clock running directly through to the looper. Then again, I could be lucky this once and will keep testing to make sure that's what it was.
Simon

Re: Jitter using as master clock (hardware only)

Post by Simon »

Interesting!

My guess is that when you activate sync, the beatbuddy syncs to the incoming clock (from the Midronome) but then generates its own clock for your looper, which gets out of sync from the original Midronome clock… ?

Could you try re-arranging the wires to get the Midronome to send the clock directly to both devices?

Simon