Configure Ableton for Midronome

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
MNRT_C

Configure Ableton for Midronome

Post by MNRT_C »

Hi all,

I received my Midronome and I try to configured it in Ableton as described in the manual "HOW-TO
Sync Midronome and DAWs For Firmware 2.0".

To avoid the jitter, I would like to create a sync with audio - so I would like to configure point 2.3.
My Interface is a Focusrite 18i20 (3rd Gen). I use Macbook M1 Pro with Sonoma.

At the beginning I had noise in the audio output from the Midronome, but I was able to solve this with the USB splitter from my Keystep37 (found this here in the board). I also use channel 8 as input and channel 8 for the output. Directly connected without patchbay or something like this.

Installing VST -> successfully completed!
Settings on Midronome: inp 24P / bAr: 4 (Ableton 4/4) - check!

Now the part that's a bit unclear:

"Drag the plugin on an empty audio track"
Maybe a typo, but I can only add the plugin into a midi track. When I try to put this on an audio track I get an error like in audio tracks only audio effects are allowed (translated). But okay, let's work with a midi track! (in the video on YouTube it also looks like a midi track).

"Make sure that track is sending audio to a dedicated (physical) output"
I'm sure! When I check with headphone on the output - I can hear the sound.

"Connect a cable from this output to the Midronome’s “INPUT” plug"
Done (and to be sure - I tested other cables and tested cables with other devices - all cables are fine!)

"Then press Play: the Midronome should sync and its orange “Locked” LED should turn on after one bar. If not, make sure the plugin’s audio is in fact sent to the “INPUT” plug of the Midronome, and that it’s loud enough."
I guess it means to press "Play" in Ableton. Unfortunately, when I do this, Locked doesn't light up on every bar. So it's not as described or as I saw in the YouTube video.

Accordingly, I can't get any further with the sync. What am I doing wrong?
I hope my description is detailed enough. I attached my settings from Ableton and to be sure - I deleted my Ableton template and started with the standard template from Ableton. Also I did a factory reset on my Focusrite.

Edit: For some reason, I decided to make another factory reset to my Focusrite and configure the channel for output 8 again - and now, it looks like it is working, but "Locked" is now always on. When I reduce the volume of the output channel (tiny bit) "Locked" is off and sync doesn't work anymore.

Any help? But right now I'm not sure if I need any more help - everything looks okay except for the "Locked" being on all the time. Is this a special issue with Focusrite interfaces?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-07 um 21.50.39.png
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-07 um 21.20.52.png
Simon

Re: Configure Ableton for Midronome

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Sorry about the small mistake in the manual - you're correct it needs to be a MIDI track not an audio track. Anyways you've got past that now :)

Regarding the current issue: when the Locked LED is on it means the tempo is locked (to the DAW). What happens when you turn the large knob, does the tempo change? And is the tempo generally matching the DAW's?
(Note: make sure you are not in the settings, i.e. after selecting "24P" or "2.4.P.", press the red setup button to go back to the main screen which shows the tempo)

An idea: it could be a phase issue, meaning your audio interface is flipping the audio phase before sending the audio. Can you try to add after the Midronome plugin another plugin to invert the phase of the audio signal? (I think most EQ plugins would do that).

To investigate some more, can plug a cable from that specific output into an input on your Focusrite and record what the plugin is sending? It should be very short audio pulses every 64th triplet note. You can take a screenshot and show it here :)

Cheers
Simon
MNRT_C

Post by MNRT_C »

Hey Simon,

thank you so much for your answer!

Of course, I wasn't in the setup - I had already left it beforehand. If the "Locked" LED lights up, the large rotary knob does nothing. I can only change the tempo in the DAW (Ableton) and Midronome then follows this and also sends the tempo to the devices (in my case the Novation Peak).

I haven't tested it in detail yet, but it actually works well. The only thing that surprises me is that "Locked" is always on.

Okay, letzt do some tests with the Stock-Utility-Plugin:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-08 um 15.34.53.png
(just for the sake of clarity, I have of course only activated one utility at a time)

Results:

1.) Locked always on, sync ok
2.) (Buttons: Phase Left activated, Phase deactivated): Locked always off - no sync
3.) (Buttons: Phase Left deactivated, Phase Right activated): Locked always off - no sync
4.) (Buttons: Phase Left activated, Phase Right activated): Locked always on, sync ok
5.) (Buttons: Phase Left deactivated, Phase Right deactivated, Change from Stereo to Swap): Locked always on, sync is very off/on/off/on - strange

Recording (without a Utility is activated):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhWHEQVffIK46woS2X6 ... _?e=bRWFl8
(sorry, WAV is not allowed as an attachment, I uploaded this to my OneDrive)
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-08 um 15.50.47.png
I guess the delay is from the recording / latency - but looks okay for me.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oh I see, it was syncing fine, but you were wondering why the Locked LED was on? Ha my bad I misunderstood :D
Well if it's syncing fine then all is good - and yes when it's syncing the Locked LED turns on, to let you know precisely that your Midronome is sync'ed (i.e. "locked") to your DAW. And if it syncs fine then you can drop all the Phase shifting plugins, this is only to use if the sync was not working.

But since you were surprised the Locked LED was constantly on, how were you expecting it to be?

Simon
MNRT_C

Post by MNRT_C »

Hey Simon,

I opened the post here when the sync unfortunately didn't work - but after a second factory reset of my interface it did work. Focusrite Control is sometimes a pain. But I just left the post - maybe it will help someone.

In the video and also in the manual it says that „Locked“ only lights up for each bar - in my case its always on. But of course, it works so far - so I'm happy! 👍
Simon

Post by Simon »

MNRT_C wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 17:07 In the video and also in the manual it says that „Locked“ only lights up for each bar - in my case its always on.
I see - the manual says that the Midronome syncs and the LED lights up after one bar, which is the case in 24P mode (it takes one bar to start the sync). In "2.4.P." mode it starts right away, I added that to the manual now. I also corrected the MIDI/audio track thing :)

And yes please leave the topic - great source of info in any case - thank you :)

Simon
HappyClocker

Post by HappyClocker »

Simon wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 17:11
MNRT_C wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 17:07 In the video and also in the manual it says that „Locked“ only lights up for each bar - in my case its always on.
I see - the manual says that the Midronome syncs and the LED lights up after one bar, which is the case in 24P mode (it takes one bar to start the sync). In "2.4.P." mode it starts right away, I added that to the manual now. I also corrected the MIDI/audio track thing :)

Simon
Hi Simon,

Thanks for you continuing the maintenance of the manual. The complexer the solution gets the more important is a good and comprehensive documentation!

Regrettably that's not a standard in music industries. So I appreciate your dedication!