replacing USAMO with Midronome

Any other questions, about other gear or your DAW for example.
juradub

replacing USAMO with Midronome

Post by juradub »

Hi, I've been using Expert Sleepers USAMO to sync my midi instruments (via erica synths midi thru box) and my eurorack case which is all sequenced and triggered by the Squarp Pyramid sequencer, going into Logic X.

Anyone who's ever used USAMO will know it is a real pain to set up. There's very little guidance online other than the manual.
It does work, sometimes, but there's real inconsistency when opening previous sessions in Logic, and i want to record new additional sequenced tracks in that project. It's almost always badly out of sync and is a real source of frustration.
I've gotten to the point if i don't record every idea in the one open session i know i'm heading for a world of Hell if i want to replace or add new sequenced parts to Logic in a later session!
I've tried many workarounds but i haven't found anything that consistently delivers. I need a solution and hoping it will be Midronome.

My understanding is the principal routing/plug in settings of both devices are similar. Is that fair to say?
Secondly, are you confident that Midronome will allow me to open older sessions and everything will sync as it should ?

Thank you

juradub
Simon

Re: replacing USAMO with Midronome

Post by Simon »

Hi :)

Well maybe someone else will answer, which would be great to give you another point of view.

What I can say, is that sync with DAWs is a complex thing. There are many variables in play, and many things that can go wrong. So as much as I'd love to have one, I think inventing a "one sync button" kind of solution is not realistic.

On the other hand, even though I believe Oz makes amazing devices and you should totally buy more stuff from him, his focus is not sync. He made the USAMO as a helping tool to use with all his other devices. The Midronome's and my main focus is sync. So I'll always improve and work on that. In fact I hope to release something quite mind-blowing about it, precisely regarding DAW sync, in a few months.

As for the way it works now, the two devices use a similar concept, which is sending audio pulses instead of MIDI Clock since these will be much more in time with the rest of the Audio from the DAW. And normally, unless the settings have changed (adding plugins, delay compensation, changing buffer size, etc., all of these might affect the sync latency), the sync should be at the same position from one day to another.

I hope this clarifies things a little :)

Cheers
Simon

PS: if you want a device, I would suggest not waiting too much, the stocks are hitting zero very soon and the next batch will not be before next summer :) And if you are out of the EU I'm afraid it's too late the stock is gone already, sorry!
juradub

Post by juradub »

Hi Simon, thanks for your reply but I'm not really any further forward in understanding if midronome will solve my sync issues.
Bear with me while I try to understand the process...

If a session in Logic X for example, is running at 118bpm and I want to start the clocks/sync at bar 65 and not bar 1, will it do so? The DAW is the Master Clock yeah? (my eurorack system is a mixture of Din Sync and midi to CV fed into the Squarp Pyramid sequencer).

Logic therefore determines the stop/start SSP etc of the sync chain. Midronome (and in turn) my sequencer/ eurorack gates + triggers all respond to the start point programmed into Logic X via the parameters set in the midronome plugin ? Is that correct?

If it is then I'll buy Midronome.
PS, I'm in the UK.

Thanks!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi :)
juradub wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 10:48 If a session in Logic X for example, is running at 118bpm and I want to start the clocks/sync at bar 65 and not bar 1, will it do so? The DAW is the Master Clock yeah? (my eurorack system is a mixture of Din Sync and midi to CV fed into the Squarp Pyramid sequencer).
Yes Logic is the master. The Midronome will be synced to it from bar 1. But that does not mean your Pyramid or Eurorack have to start on bar 1 as well.
You could easily:
  • Either simply press the Play button manually when the transport is on bar 64 (anywhere within the bar)
  • Or get your DAW to send a MIDI CC command to the Midronome on bar 64 (that way it happens automatically)
The CC commands can get the Midronome to send play on any of its MIDI ports, 1 or 2 or both. In DIN Sync mode, the ANLG clocks follow what happens on MIDI Port 1 (regarding Play/Stop status).

Generally the device is very flexible and configurable, there are tons of different ways to use, and I'd be surprised if you cannot find a way that suits your needs. Feel free to have a look at the many resources, amongst others the PDFs on the support page and the Youtube channel

But if you want one unfortunately you'll have to wait because there are none in stock.
Next batch should be around summer 2024, though there are no guarantees.

Simon
juradub

Post by juradub »

Thanks for your reply Simon. The more i read and understand what Midronome can do, the more i feel it is a solution for these ongoing sync problems.

You mentioned there's none in stock, but is there any way i can pre-order, join a waiting list, or pay upfront ahead of the next batch release?

All the best.
Simon

Post by Simon »

juradub wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 21:07 You mentioned there's none in stock, but is there any way i can pre-order, join a waiting list, or pay upfront ahead of the next batch release?
Yes simply join the mailing list (at the bottom of the website www.midronome.com ) :)

Simon