[DONE] Midi forwarding: Overcoming the 125 byte-limit

For bugs and features discssusions. You may suggest new features here as well.
Please do not report bugs here, use instead the "xxx Bug Reports" forums.
nobuyoshi

[DONE] Midi forwarding: Overcoming the 125 byte-limit

Post by nobuyoshi »

Hi all,

I´m in the process of ordering my Midronome and I´ll use it for syncing via its AU plugin *and* for MIDI forwarding in place of my current USB-to-MIDI interface.

If I use the Midronome as my only MIDI interface though, I will not be able to send soundbanks or even individual sounds to my synthesizers via sysex. I understand the concept of "clock first" and that too much sysex data might possibly clog the MIDI bandwidth, but it sounds tedious to connect another MIDI interface every time I want to transmit sounds/sysex data.

I´d think it might be feasible to allow for bigger sysex transmissions whenever the Midronome does not receive audio clock pulses / its transport is stopped.

Am I alone in my desire to be able to forward more sysex data via the MN (without disturbing the clock)?
Simon

Re: Midi forwarding: Overcoming the 125 byte-limit

Post by Simon »

Thanks for posting here.

It's an interesting point - my main reason for disabling long sysex messages is because they will for sure disturb the clock. But maybe that's an acceptable behavior, thinking nothing important will be happening while long sysex messages are sent (typically for updates, config, soundbanks, etc.)

Anybody else has some thoughts on the matter?

Cheers
Simon

PS: I would still be worried about long sysex messages happening "by mistake" though... But maybe that's thinking it too much :roll:
nobuyoshi

Post by nobuyoshi »

Simon wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 09:58 But maybe that's an acceptable behavior, thinking nothing important will be happening while long sysex messages are sent (typically for updates, config, soundbanks, etc.)
This is one way, leave it to the user to know what he´s doing, I don´t think that users would expect to play back songs with perfect timing while sending soundbanks to synths. Maybe making "permit bigger sysex data" an option that is by default set to "off" would work - with an explicit warning in the manual ("don´t set this to on unless you need to").
Simon wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 09:58 PS: I would still be worried about long sysex messages happening "by mistake" though... But maybe that's thinking it too much :roll:
This could also be prevented by letting bigger sysex data *only* pass when there´s nothing running, ie the audio input does not receive clicks and the MN´s own transport is on "stop", if I´m not missing anything?

Without the "sysex barrier", you´d also have the "If you have Midronome, you save at least $50 for a simple usb-midi-interface" point to make 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

nobuyoshi wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 20:18 This could also be prevented by letting bigger sysex data *only* pass when there´s nothing running, ie the audio input does not receive clicks and the MN´s own transport is on "stop", if I´m not missing anything?
I like that - no extra option and pretty safe for the user :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

The limit will be increased as part of Firmware 3.0, to 500 bytes instead of 125.