My Set Up working 100% on Ableton how i did it.

Any questions about the Midronome, technical or not
dheeraj

My Set Up working 100% on Ableton how i did it.

Post by dheeraj »

hello.
Firstly i would like to mention that this set up works amazing for me and my workflow.
thought it ll help any of you guys in case you plan or have a same workflow in mind.
i use the NOME as Master clock. ableton follows it. my drum machine and sequencers are receiving MIDI clock from the NOME directly.
My Analog synth is receiving MIDI Notes from ableton and also i play some loops/samples on Ableton.

Im on the latest ableton 11 , macbook 13 m2 , RME UCX I
hardware used: TR8s Drum machine , Behringer Model D .
what ive done is pretty simple.
1. i've taken the click audio out of the NOME and into channel 1 on RME
2. in the NOME settings ive changed the click sound to Kick drums (both the click types, Full volume)
3. in Ableton - under settings - link tempo MIDI- show tempo follower -and Input channel (ext in) 1
4. Now obviously ableton follows the NOME tempo when u activate the follow button.
Now this is where i had tears of joy :D
5.the MIDI out 1 on NOME is going to my TR8s Drum machine
6.the MIDI out from my audio interface to my Behringer MOdel D
7.on ableton i add 2 external instruments on seperate tracks .
on one i get audio from theTR8s drum machine
and the 2nd i get audio from the Model D
8.on the External Instrument - Model D track i can now add notes on the piano roll and i dont hear any latency at all! plus im adding reverbs and delays!
9. So ableton is following the tempo of the NOME.. i Play the NOME first and then press play on ableton.. it always stays in sync.
the audio coming into ableton from my external gear , i can now process it with plugins.. without absolutely any latency.
i have a few plugins on the master bus too! :D

So this is how ive set this up for my live gigs :)
just that i have to play the NOME first and let ableton follow. and ofcourse input 1 on RME is not to be used as thats the tempo track.

i hope i have explained clearly :)

regards,

dheeraj
Simon

Re: My Set Up working 100% on Ableton how i did it.

Post by Simon »

Thank you Dheeraj for sharing!! :D

Very happy to hear you found a way that works for you. Just FYI you can get Ableton to follow the Midronome simply over USB by activating the "External sync" in Ableton. This way you do not need the extra cable and Tempo Follower. It's explained here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-via-MIDI

But if this way (with the metronome and tempo follower) works for you - it's all what matters ;)

Simon
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

Hi Simon.

yeah i did try that too but iwas getting some latency so i finally stuck to this method.
also a small info .
my buffer size on my RME is at 256 samples. that's what is working for me.
im Glad to have the NOME in my set up!
Thank you
Simon

Post by Simon »

dheeraj wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 06:15 yeah i did try that too but iwas getting some latency so i finally stuck to this method.
Interesting :) And adjusting the clock delay in Ableton was not good enough to remove the latency?

Simon
dheeraj

Post by dheeraj »

It was a bit helpful.
But every time I add an external instrument i had to to the latency setting . Also adding more 3rd party effects plugins complicate it more.
Now with the follow action , I don't touch the latency setting at all.
Only thing is I play the NOME first.. then Ableton on the beat.
It catches up to the tempo pretty fast and I don't have to worry about anything anymore.
Even the midi notes I send to my synths are on time , the audio I get back into Ableton have no latency at all :)
Regards,

Dheeraj